K10 Owners, Help Needed!

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
You've all heard it, that annoying rattle from the boot area that squeaks back at you everytime you go over a stone bigger than a 5 pence piece, now let's get rid of that sound forever!

• Am i right in saying it's the actual boot door?
  • If i moved the latch wouldn't there be a gap left? (ice problems?)
  • Could it be just the rubber seal has gone?
  • The hinges perhaps?

K10 Brothers We Need To Unite To Solve This Squeaky Menace Once And For All!
and if you haven't heard it yet.... It's Coming...:p
any advice is warmly welcomed, the sooner i get rid of this the sooner i can move onto the engine bay!

i already moved my latch so i have to slam my boot shut but it didnt solve the rattle. However when i droped my back seat the other day it cured it. So my rattle and squeak was the rear seat. I have wedged foam in the seat latches and closed the seat it works a treat.

try putting a cloth over the latch and shut the tailgate see if it cures it!

that way you know if its the latch or not! kno loads of boots that have done this over the years

I moved my latch right forward so I had to SLAM the boot shut.

Now my boot handle is inset from where it should be (dented in) - and surrounded by rust where the paint has chipped :), yay!

I moved my latch right forward so I had to SLAM the boot shut.

Now my boot handle is inset from where it should be (dented in) - and surrounded by rust where the paint has chipped :), yay!

Ah! bad times... well i shall try the foam in a bit, did it solve the squeaking though? :D

Yeah it did mate :).

If you have the rear stripped, you get a lot of squeak from the tops of the shockers too.

A bit of pipe insultation taped round the tops of them sorts that out.

Had to do this is the st was driving me mad to the point that I hated driving it and anyone that got in the car just laughed

adjusting the hook on mine sorted it out, i also found that the standard parcel shelf and plastic shelves either side tend to rattle alot

yeah my shef ratted about too. I open my boot and bent the black brackets down abit so they close tightly onto the shelf. The brackets are on the inside of the boot lid under the rear screen.

My parcel shelf, Boot hiinges and the plastic bits in the side where the parcel shelf locates when closed were loose on by blue LS

I greased the boot hinges, tightened the plastic trim and put some sticky backed foam strips where the parcel shelf locates on the plastic runners problem solved (Y) let us know how you get on

ok im half way there according to my ear drums! i actually just put some double sided foam backing on the parcel shelf too! just padded the hooks for the rear seats and drove it around seems a lot quiter however there is a whisper of the squeak still coming from what i can only think of is the boot so gonna have a go at that at some point but at least my stereo can knock out the rest of the sounds for now!

cheers guys!

Yeah I need to sort mine out too, although 6x9s on the parcel did help out a lot. Think I'll give the sticky backed foam a go, will have to blag some from college :)

i used the top mount rubber gromits from the old shock absorbers and stuck them onto the little nipple like one just above the lights, worked a treat till i lost one in tesco :( oh, also it makes the boot look slightly too raised which is slightly bad in poor weather if you have poor rubber seals.

i used the top mount rubber gromits from the old shock absorbers and stuck them onto the little nipple like one just above the lights, worked a treat till i lost one in tesco :( oh, also it makes the boot look slightly too raised which is slightly bad in poor weather if you have poor rubber seals.
yes i have poor seals! gets a little damp in there after heavy rain/car wash not a puddle just a bit damp would need to fix this aswell!
thanks for the idea though!

Solutions to Common Rattles and Leaks

Common K10 rattles:
Sun roof - Caused by seal going hard in cold weather.

Sun roof cover - They bend out of shape over time so just bend it straight again and pack out the cups at the front.

Door Cards - if your poppers have come out or are broken then the cards will flap, especially if they have pockets.

Spare Tire, Woodboard Spare Tire Cover & The Jack - all rattle if not fastened in tightly (but not too tight).

Split Folding Rear Seats (where fitted) - they wear on the centre hinges and rattle around unless someone sits on them.

Parcel Shelf & Plastic Shoulders (at both sides of the shelf) - take them all off, get a small roll of sticky-back foam door insulation strip (about 50p for 10miles or something stupid from wilkinsons lol) and just line the backs where they meet the body and each other. When re-fitting make sure you tighten the bolts as much as possible without damaging them.

On To Leaks...

Front floor pans ON SUNROOF MODELS (both sides but most commonly drivers side) - Two hose pipes run down from the front drain holes in body side of the sunroof and into the sills. These hoses get blocked sometimes and cause the water to run down the roof lining unless the car is facing uphill. Take off the vynal covers (one behind fuse box, one same place but on passenger side), pluck out the pipes and clean them out.

If your sills have been welded and the drain holes blocked up then they will fill with water and will empty out onto the floor pans through their many screw holes.

Hope this helps y'all 'brothers' out there. (Y)

I tightened the boot hook bolts. I put tape around the bit which holds the boot shut and they both helped. There's also some rubber bits which rest on the glass which sit on the parcel shelf, make sure they're in place. The shelf can rattle otherwise. My shelf was made of solid MDF which also stopped the rattles.

i will be trying my best its the doors and the sunroof to do now the boot is finally quiet thanks to mckenziecz (Y)

Back