How hard is to to fit an iPod CD player?

M

MichaelD

I just bought my new nissan (hi guys!) and I'm looking to buy a new CD player. I'd like this one:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...t=&CarSelectorCatalogId=&CarSelectorGroupId=#

As it has iPod control etc, however they want £39.99 to fit it into the car. Now, my question is - how hard can this really be on the Micra? Obviously they need to get the wire around into the glove box - is this a difficult thing for a newbie like me to do?

Any advice / opinions are welcomed! Thanks :)

Michael

should be quite easy mate removing an orginal steroe is a case of undoing a few bolts its very easy give it a go if i were you the cd players usally come with quite good instructions :) if yu get stuck im sure we can help ya out ;)

£40 for an install is a ripoff when you know what actually goes into an install...

firstly difficulties arise all the time but depending on model of car and setup(i.e speakers,amps) someone will talk you through it...

post your model of Nissan? and what year(reg) and we'll get on it or do a SEARCH and you'll find useful info...

on my 96k11 it is easy peasy.. but no doubt you'll need the following:

*electrical tape
*scissors
*Micra to ISO adaptor from any motorfactor shop
*screwdriver set
*possibly a few fuses(lol)

thats all i can think of atm, will help more when you post a spec...

mean micra said:
£40 for an install is a ripoff when you know what actually goes into an install...

firstly difficulties arise all the time but depending on model of car and setup(i.e speakers,amps) someone will talk you through it...

I think you really said it all there... it's not always the easiest thing to do, so the people installing them need training, they need to do it properly. £40 isn't bad at all.

Sorry guys - i've posted this in the wrong forum! What a newb ;)

Anyway, it should be in the K11 forum (any mods wanna move?)

The car details are as follows:

It's a 1995 Nissan Micra Hollywood L reg - 2 front speakers - none on the rear. There is currently a standard fit Nissan Radio/Cassette player.

The actual removal of the old unit I doubt will be too hard (did it on my old car), however I'm concerned about how to get the iPod leads from the back of the CD player into the glove compartment...

And for those who mentioned it - i bought a nissan > iso lead today :-D

So, any advice welcomed :) And sorry about the wrong forum!

It is suprisingly easy mate, just pull off the central console after unscrewing 4 screws. Fit in CD player (you will need to buy an ISO plug (£3 on ebay or £10-20 from halfrauds)) The dash is all connected so there is basically a gap for a wire to run from your cd player into the glove box.

Andrew said:
I think you really said it all there... it's not always the easiest thing to do, so the people installing them need training, they need to do it properly. £40 isn't bad at all.

At last, Andrew your wrong. *does a little dance*

Sorry Andrew nothing personal, jus you always seem to be the font of all knowledge.

Halfords fitters recieve NO formal training. The extent of the help they are given is a book with every car listed that says Do Not Attempt if it is tricky.
I was a halfords fitter, fitting car stereos, batteries, bulbs, wipers etc. The only way we learnt anything was by getting it wrong.

I eventually left when they were expecting us to fit the Hands free mobile kits to some very high end cars, again with no training, often we'd make a complete hash of the car only to find the unit itself was faulty so we'd have to rip it all out and start again.

By the time I left there were only a couple of us that would do the fittings.

m1ck97 said:
It is suprisingly easy mate, just pull off the central console after unscrewing 4 screws. Fit in CD player (you will need to buy an ISO plug (£3 on ebay or £10-20 from halfrauds)) The dash is all connected so there is basically a gap for a wire to run from your cd player into the glove box.
Central Console? Thanks for the tips guys!

id feel bad for taking 40 quid for such a simple job. centre console is the grey thing that goes over the heater dials/etc

after having owned a cd player with 20w output, i would highly recommend you look for something with at least 45w

ok thanks for the tip. out of interest - how powerful are the stock speakers? Under 20w?

i think they are about 10-20w, its just useful to have a stereo with a slightly bigger output incase you upgrade (which is what i ended up doing and is really worth it!)

Back