Gearbox oil capacity

I've just been to buy some gearbox oil and the only one my local motor factors has is ep80w90 gl5 I was lead to believe micras need gl4.

Would gl5 be ok or not?

Cheers

Matt

you need 75w90 gl4.

c/p from the FAQ section on this site:

Question?
What oils are recommended to use in a Nissan Micra?

Answer(s):
K10
engine oil of 10/40 semi synthetic, gearbox oil of 80/90 transmission oil(manuel box) atf (automatic transmission fluid for autos).

K11
engine oil of 10/40 semi synthetic, gearbox oil of 75/90 semi synthetic (manuel box) atf for automatics, power steering fluid is atf also.

Ok, they only had gl5 of that too. The computer bought up 80/90 oil in the motor factors. I guess there isn't a massive difference in the viscosities between 75 and 80. But what's the business with gl4/5?

The guy on the counter just said better quality but I wanted to check it out first.

Difference in viscosity between 75 and 80? MASSIVE! I had 80w90 in my car and it was impossible to shift on a cold morning. Now with 75w90 its much much better. The specs show the same story:

75w90:

Viscosity at 40°C in mm2/s: 88

80w90:

Viscosity at 40°C in mm2/s: 159

As you can see the 75 is better suited for low temperatures. This is a comparison between 2 oils of the same manufacturer.

GL5 oil is more agressive to some parts of the gearbox especially the brass parts! Avoid!

Yo guy at the counter knows nothing i guess :)

Difference in viscosity between 75 and 80? MASSIVE! I had 80w90 in my car and it was impossible to shift on a cold morning. Now with 75w90 its much much better. The specs show the same story:

75w90:

Viscosity at 40°C in mm2/s: 88

80w90:

Viscosity at 40°C in mm2/s: 159

As you can see the 75 is better suited for low temperatures. This is a comparison between 2 oils of the same manufacturer.

GL5 oil is more agressive to some parts of the gearbox especially the brass parts! Avoid!

Yo guy at the counter knows nothing i guess :)

No he doesn't know alot. Not the normal motor factors I use just called in on my lunch. They are pretty cheap for something's but his knowledge is poor.

I will go to the usual place tomorrow and get some 75/90.

The car will be mainly used for my fiancé to learn in (and me to rag around:grinning:) so the easier the gear change the better!

Thanks for the advice!

Matt

Back