Fitting wider rims

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
Hey guys,

Well, my new rims arrived recently, and now that I am back from work, I am going through the rigmorale of fitting them.

Took them to get tyres fitted today, also tracked down some hubcentric locating ring thingos and had a crack. I knew they would be too wide, so was more trying to work out how much elbow grease I have in front of me..... anyway, a few pics.

rims3.jpg

rims2.jpg

rims1.jpg

The rears aren't too bad. With some guard rolling and a little pulling of the guards, I am hoping that I won't need to do any extra bodywork/flaring.

The fronts are going to take more work. I picked up some camber bolts this arvo and will need to get the heat gun out with the guard roller to push the limits a bit.

Also, the rims aren't bolted up tight in the photos. I only had stock nuts, and couldn't get a socket/wheel brace over them, so they are just finger tight, and still quite loose. So that should drag a few extra mm out of it too.

Any tips on rolling the micra guards guys?

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
Rims5.jpg

I have a guard roller already. Now that I also have some in-hex wheel nuts and front camber bolts, I will have them all fitted up tomorrow..... whether they stay on depends on how the guard rolling etc goes.

Anyone selling coilovers? :D

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
i think you will just stretch the lower doorgap with an arch roller personally adz
my red one was fouling on the offside only, even with a lot of camber ( probably more camber than your camberbolts will give) and i had to take the wing off and bash the front of the flitch downwards (so that the front of the wing sat lower and the arch "bellied" outwards for more clearance)

Attachments

• 59005.jpg
    59005.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 40

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
Yeah, if after a bit of work with the roller I am not having much luck, I will prob either end up with flared aftermarket front quarter panels, or pull the lip out and flare the stock guard.

All just a game of patience now lol.

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
lol, yeah not keen on that haha. I plan on having a second set of rims for hillclimbs/sprint days etc, so hacking up my rear axle for massive camber is not an option.

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
why wouldnt you?

i run -5 F & -6.75 R all day and the amount of grip is amazing! espically with some decent tyres on it handles like a dream

what size tyres you running? 194/50 ku31's? or 195/45?

kumho make random tyres in 155/60 and 175/60 that will help fit them under, def go some camber as well..

if not run some other narrower rims for the road and these for the track.

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
Well after putting in the camber bolts, rolling the guards quite aggresively, I am pretty happy. Whilst the rims don't sit inside the guards, the top of the tyres sits inside and I can't see too much hassle from the plod. The car will only be getting driven 5 days a month or so.

It will be going about an inch lower once I get myself some coilovers. There is absolutely no scrubbage at this height, so I am hoping another inch with much stiffer springs won't lead to too much messing around with cutting/bashing/etc etc.

xsoarerx: they are 195/45s. I am happy with this tyre size, and not going to any narrower/taller in the sidewall to get any more stretch. I guess the biggest thing with the rear camber is the idea of hacking up my axle and then guessing how far to bend the hub back to get the camber. It seems very rudimentary and frought with ****ups.

Who did your rear camber mods? That is another issue... I have no grinder/welder, and I highly doubt it would be easy to walk into a shop and say "Hey can you put a slice in my axle, bash on an old wheel to bend my axle up and then reweld to give me precisely 3 deg negative camber whilst not affecting my toe settings please?" lol.

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
Needs lowering :D If I wasn't trying to sell the current suspension, I would just lop a couple of coils out of the springs.... coilovers will come soon enough. Probably install them while I have the front end apart for the turbo conversion.

Attachments

• 59044.jpg
    59044.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 36

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
i was making more of the point that camber add's grip rather than you needing it. how the rear's sit i wouldnt bother too much. they look like there in the guard and you can still bring that guard out heaps more. are you going to lower it some more or is that where your leaving it?

in all honesty i never thought you'd be able to fit these on a micra with so little effort. makes me think aobut the sakura copys and why know ones done that yet...BEN!looking in your direction :p

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
Yeah, I thought about getting the sakura's.... but figured equip 03 copies were bad enough, let alone cherry blossoms :p

I aim to lower it another inch or so once I get coilovers shortly. Car is off the road now for a month or 3, so will be pushing the guards a bit further while its up on stands.

I also understand the whole camber vs handling thing. Seriously, if I knew of a workshop that would do it for me, and that I could trust to get the job done right, I would probably get ~2-3deg of camber in the rear. Any suggestions?

CMF_xsoarerx

» CMF Member
in all honesty some very good 195/45's would prob do about the same as 2 to 3 deg in camberin terms of amount of grip

my mate that built the car did it him self, once you see how its done its very easy process, its just being able to weld and taking your time to get it right.

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
Yeah fair call. I guess it will depend a lot on how the fitment of the 8" rims is when the car is lowered further. Cheers for the pointers.

CMF_BEN129

» CMF Member
xsoarerx WROTE:

makes me think aobut the sakura copys and why know ones done that yet...BEN!looking in your direction :p<BR><BR>

they were high on the list. but the dragways were a cheap start option till i find some real jap wheels. now that ive seen the fitment of them it makes me wish i had gone the sakura flowers, i thought they would poke alot more

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
Yeah I know haha. I won't be sacking it though.... just another 30mm or so.

About to order my coilovers... undecided whether to get Ksport from US or BCs from Justjap... hmmmm.

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
At that height, with only me in the car, I had no scrubbage whatsoever.

Car is off the road at the moment, and I put in the coilovers yesterday and dropped it another inch or so. I dare say now there will be scrubbage issues. I will know in a month or 2 how bad they are.

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
Ok.

So now have the car lowered a fair bit more with the new coilovers. Car is still off the road for a bit longer yet.... but here are a couple of pics showing the height and fitment.

Attachments

• 60456.jpg
    60456.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 34

CMF_BEN129

» CMF Member
ride height looks much better, good job dude.

It was good to see you fit those wheels under with such little fuss, i have a set of 15x7 +0's on the way, and they will poke another 9mm on yours, so felt reassured it was possible

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
BEN129 WROTE:

"ride height looks much better, good job dude.

It was good to see you fit those wheels under with such little fuss, i have a set of 15x7 +0's on the way, and they will poke another 9mm on yours, so felt reassured it was possible

you,ll have some poke on the front with those ben :eek:
here,s 6.5 J et 0, and 155/70/13,s stretched on (with some camber and the wing bellied out too)

Attachments

• 60576.jpg
    60576.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 36

CMF_adz14

» CMF Member
BEN129 WROTE:

"looking at that last pic, how is your inner clearance at the front?

Before the car was lowered, it was fine, no issues. However... I won't know for another month or 3 if there are any issues now. The picture is pretty deceiving though.... there is more clearance than it looks.

Back