Dual stage boost controller installed

cisco

» CMF Member
Finally pulled my finger out and installed this little baby.

It showed up the other day, its a turbosmart sleeper series dual stage boost controller. Just lets you adjust a high and low boost setting and then flick between then in the car with an electronic switch.

It comes with a jabba rocket switch (fighter pilot style). But that's too glaring and obvious to me, so the best thing ever, well I've had this spare rear demister switch all these years that I always planned to use as a stealth boost switch. Well now it works!! Haha so awesome sleeper.

I just hooked it up at home myself, only took like 30 minutes total including wiring up everything and connecting the thing to the T-piece near the wastegate actuator.

Wow what a feeling. Currently I don't have quite small enough tube (will get some slightly skinnier rubber tube tomorrow to fix that), so right now low boost is 11psi and high is 15.5psi. Its leaking a little bit of air until I get the right rubber tube tomorrow - which means higher boost on both settings.

When I fix that, I'll set low boost to somewhere between 7-10psi and then leave high up just under 16psi.

Even this evening with 11 and 15.5 settings, its awesome fun. 2nd totally grips at 11psi and you can hit the secret demister switch at any time and the car screams into action. I swear that above about 14psi the car takes on a completely different engine growl. I was taking off in 1st and 2nd at 11psi, then I flicked the switch when I was in 3rd gear and bam wow off she went like the clappers.

Boost buttons are cool! Especially when they are stealth and well hidden. When I get the other tube, a 7-10psi low setting will be much better for the wet weather and 1st gear..

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
haha, that is awesome. Set it too low boost whenever its borrowed/or taken to workshop for work etc...and yep for in the wet too, make it abit more drivable in low gears (thinking of hillstart in rain),

Alex

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I'd say its the clutch which would make hillstarts a bit of a problem 'LX.

But then again, cisco does ride them like he's on a horse playing a 'gentlemans' game of polocross. :p

(what? Couldnt help myself on this wonderful thursday morning!)

cisco

» CMF Member
Haha very funny stuff.

Yeah so much fun!

Car possibly coming off the road short term though.
Radiator still leaking, going to get it strengthened by the place who made it and then slam it back in.

Also at the same time, I might decide to remove the vibrating clutch and flywheel and send them down to Exedy via Errol who has been very good and interested in what the problem is. Errol has been asking me all about it very pro-actively and also got Exedy involved to try to work out what can be beefed up to stop this overheating problem. I think its just the clutch fingers bent from too much heat, but Exedy suggested even the flywheel could be slightly warped. I really don't think its the flywheel, but they are keen for me to send both down to them, they can analyse and then fix it in a way so it shouldn't overheat next time. That would be cool.

I just also bought some new stereo gear, so I'm keen to install that while I can't drive the car.

That's all my car spending for a while, shesh I'm blowing some cash on this car!!!

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yep worse than having a mistress on the side.
Like a drug eh Cisco??
Buy a Micra, go forced and become totally addicted but there are also a lot of non forced addicts out there also.
See the latest new car rego figures ?? Small car figures going through the roof.
Gas a $1.60/litre coming up. Get used to it cause it will never be like a $1.20 / litre ever.
Just love my zippy Micras which which can eyeball the big bangers and go the same distance at half the fuel cost.
Their day has come.Walk tall and proud Micra owners.
Shee starting to sound like a Clint Eastwodd spag.western.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Great steathy boost control Cisco, And the button is a great idea.

The Toyota Starlets have a high/low boost button standard, it's very cool.

May be you can try the Gtec again with a flick of the switch?

Back