Any hints on installing my spoiler? Cheap $25 from bunnings

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Hmmm ... I am finally getting around to thinking about ways of attaching my el cheapo front spoiler.

It's basically a piece of lawn trim for $25 - I am thinking of leaving the label on just for laughs.

I've done it previously on my AE86 using zip ties but other thoughts include using some silicon glue, using screws or a combination of both.

Notice some have done similar things - just wondering what works best.

Needs to be able to take scrapes from speed humps as I am very low with my G4 coilovers now and am planning to go even lower.

Some trial fitting shots:

sp1.JPG

sp2.JPG

I'll probably get around to fitting this next weekend - just spent this weekend installing gauges, painting cam cover + bumpers etc.

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Thanks for the input above.

Well ... I did some research and found that most ppl on the net got away with using 3M automotive double sided tape or similar.

My weekly Sunday venture to Repco turned up some automotive double-sided tape which I went to sticking to the front bumper when I got home.

Still a bit dubious as to the strength so I will probably be drilling some holes later tonight and either putting zip ties or rivets into them.

Leaning towards zip ties as it's cheaper to replace, more practical and I hate drilling out rivets (if you've ever had to replace a softtop on a MX5, you'll know why).

Some pics:

sp6.JPG

sp3.JPG

sp4.JPG

sp5.JPG

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
yeah that looks pretty sick!! might have to try that.... probably use a getz lip tho! they fit better and less hassle.. didnt think bout double sided tape... not sure if that would be strong enough when you scrape it on driveways n stiff tho.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
tris WROTE:

"yeah that looks pretty sick!! might have to try that.... probably use a getz lip tho! they fit better and less hassle.. didnt think bout double sided tape... not sure if that would be strong enough when you scrape it on driveways n stiff tho.

Getz lip doesn't fit perfectly either, just so you know. That lip should be plenty flexible enough for a bit of bending even with that 3M heavy-duty tape - it's strong stuff.

Seen some pretty horrid examples of people using the garden edging but the rounded front of the micra seems to suit it pretty well.

---dens

smidge

» CMF Member
thats cool mate, the same stuff they use to hold winscreens and side skirts on might be the go! sikaflex stuff... in behind it would hold it pretty snug, the double sided stuff might have the thing let go spectacularly at high speed

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
Hah hah ... thought about flogging the rest of the roll but I think I'll hang onto it in case I have a mishap or too.

Um ... anyone have pics of the Getz lip installed? Don't know what it looks like but I am sure that a $25 roll of lawn trim would be a lot cheaper than a getz spoiler, even at the wreckers.

Re the G4 coils, I do want to slam it lower however the rear is currently at the lowest setting already. Someone on these forums had the same problem with the rears not going low enough but I couldn't find the thread anymore.

My mate Al at Pedders Suspension Browns Plains said to drive the car for a while and let the coils settle before he'll lower the car more. I believe he'll either start trimming the bump stops or removing a plate or two to lower the rear more.

sp7.JPG

sp8.JPG

Front's not a prob so will be lowered a bit more - just had to keep this height for the roadworthy etc. I am also thinking of getting some 20mm wheel spacers for the rear just to space the rear wheels out nicely in line with the front.

Even at this height, I do scrap on the speed humps at Gardencity (and this is my current daily too)!

Oh, btw ... riveted parts of the spoiler last night and it didn't fly off on the M1 on the way to work today. :)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
that looks good,

i'd fasten it some other way as well though..

its on a part of the car where the winds gonna hit it with some downforce as you are driving..

but then again..it is only cheap so im sure if it flew off and you drove over it..wouldnt be that much bother to replace it haha

CMF_vivioman

» CMF Member
Just wanted to say thanks for the info on this thread.

I was looking for a way to extend the front lip of my N14 pulsar and this thread came up in a search in Google.

Got the edging and slapped it on the car and couldn't be happier now :)

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
new craze garden strip very cool idea though

i got my splitter of a renault espace (uk) unless you have them in aus.scrapes on alot of things but i love it, its just held on with stickaflex and self taping screws

Attachments

• 39954.jpg
    39954.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 26

CMF_vivioman

» CMF Member
sarge3uk WROTE:

"new craze garden strip very cool idea though

i got my splitter of a renault espace (uk) unless you have them in aus.scrapes on alot of things but i love it, its just held on with stickaflex and self taping screws

how do you guys in the UK get that bonnet with the angry headlight eyelid thing? Are those custom made?

CMF_cactus

» CMF Member
i thought that looked damn good spoiler wise , so put one on mine sorry no pics yet ! I used black screws on each end plus small brackets to bend it round at the tyre ends. and additional 4 screws at the front of it, cant really notice the screws (being black) no sikaflex or tape requied its very sturdy. I even made a cutout in it to put my fresh air intake .. Will post pics when i have some ..Cheers

Back