4 stud to 5 stud

danimicra8

BabyBlueK11
Im just wondering if this is possible or if anyone has tried this, basically I was wondering if you can have a conversion to allow you to put 5stud wheels on a car that should be 4 stud.

I found some alloys I really like but they are 5 stud, its so difficult to choose alloys that will look good on your car, Im figuring 5 spoke will look best but these typically are only 5 stud in the ones I want.

I included in the bottom the wheels I fancy (5 spoke) and the wheels that fit (8 spoke) and if anyone has any suggestions for the car Id love to hear them.

Attachments

• 1731.jpg
    1731.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 214
  • shadow_5_gpf-l.jpg
    shadow_5_gpf-l.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 218
why not drill holes in your current hub and then thread them with a threader thingy cant remember what they are called?doh! ya never know you could make a mint drilling holes for other people and then ya could afford a car with 5 nut holes on each hub!the possibilities are endless! *sits down and wonders*..........................:grinning:

hmm, I wouldnt know the first thing about drilling holes in places. Id have to take it to a Kwikfitter (or another mechanic) and get my butt robbed.

I've seen it done for a 5 to 4 stud conversion for fitting Manta wheels to a Rover SD1. What you need it do is get a set of new studs from you friendly Nissan dealer. You will need 20 (4x5) although I would get a few spares. The look like bolts but with a flattened head like a nail instead of the hexagonal bit at the top. Between the head and the thread is a sort of fluted bit. This stops them turning when you tighten and slacken the wheel nuts.

What you need to do is take off the front hubs and discs and the rear drums. Carefully drive the old studs out of the hubs and drums (usually a big hammer does the job). Take them all to a local machine shop along with hte PCD information for your new wheels (or a wheel). They can then can weld up the old holes if required and drill new ones. They should be the right size for the threaded part of the stud to go though, but not the fluted bit. This is a precision job, do not attempt it at home - unless you are a toolmaker with your own workshop at home. When you collect the re-drilled hubs, carefully press the new studs through the new holes from the opposite side that the wheels go onto (that hammer again). They should push through easily until you get to the fluted bit. Alternatively get the machine shop to do it. And don't forget before you buy any new wheels to check the offset and the size of the hole in the middle. You can always get the hole made bigger -more money to the machine shop - but difficult to make smaller.

Now put it all back on the car and bolt on the new wheels.

Alternatively just go to your local car accessory shop which sells sets of wheels with tyres, and he can probably do you a set for little more than the price of a set of tyres which will bolt straight on. Alot cheaper, and easier to get right.

(If you do decide to go for the conversion I accept no responsibility for these instructions - for info only. In other words don't blame me, I think it a very bad idea.) Also your insurance company won't be impressed. But then they may not be happy about nice new wheels either. They can be funny about these things and you may find yourself uninsured when you least need to be if you don't tell them. :-(

for future reference you can also just buy pcd adapters usually come with a 20mm spacer...though they arent exactly cheap.

Back