Front speaker issues (K10)

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Just spent about 5 hours stessing myself over getting some front components in my K10 and basically getting nowhere, my speaker rings weren't round (and where mega rough), so ive binned them, ive just realised because of where i put my rca cable the clutch pedal arm has cut through it over a period of time which is why my right speaker starts working when i push in the clutch! All in all a crap day!

So my question is, how did people secure there oversize K10 speakers? I have some 5 1/4" components, as they are tapered they only fit slightly into the speaker hole and have to be spaced out. Does anyone have any tips on how they secure it and how they mark out where to drill the holes, etc?
Should i secure all the rings together, then secure them to the door, then the speakers on top?
Or should i secure with a screw from the speaker all the way through the rings and into the door?

And should i cut away the doorcard under the speaker rings or screw through it?
Anyone who has done this on a K10, or has some advice i'll be mega grateful!
Thanks

Best thing is to mount the speakers to the rings, then mount the rings to the doors. My speaker rings had four screws going through the door card / metal securing the ring in place. Two of the four were used to hold the speaker to the ring. I then had another 4 screwing the speaker cover to the ring.

The cabling shouldn't need to go near any of the pedals. Speaker wiring can be tied up underneath the dash, then go down the side, behind the fuse panel (drivers side) and out to the door.

Another thing to consider when making rings, they need to be thick enough to ensure the cone on the speaker doesn't bash against the window glass when you lower it, and they can't be too big, they hit the dashboard when the doors closed. The screws used to hold it on can't touch the glass either!

Any tips on making the rings? I have a router, but i'm having trouble making it pivot in a small enough circle to cut out 5.25". Obv it needs to turn through half that in order to cut the circle. My jigsaw technique left much to be desired!

On mine, i just pencilled round the edge onto MDF then cut it out using a saw, and sanding round the edges to smooth it all off! Doesn't have to be too perfect, as I also used carpet to cover the wood up.

Cheers for the help, it'll have to wait a while anyway as tbh i can't be bothered to run another wire through the carpet just yet, sometimes i hate cars lol!

i have made a speaker distance form 19mm MDF, and locate it on the door panel, after i drillled the hole fore speaker magnet in the door plate...speakers are 6,5"...16cm, component sistem and tweeters are on dashboard at the corners...because of location of the speakers (high position) the sound is much louder than the speakers in other cars when they are located at the bottom of the doors (because they litarely play in the leggs of the passengers).... in near future i will upgrade the doors by real speaker panel made of fiberglass....it will be a compression panel with few liters wolume....sorry for my bad english :)

Back