K10 Speaker fitting help!

Ceirwan

Ex. Club Member
Sorry to keep posting all these questions but as there are some people on here that have made great systems i would like to hear their thoughts on how they would mount this speaker:

dsc00131ly4.jpg

Its a 5 1/4" Component which according to the measurements has a mounting depth of 69mm, in a previous thread it was mentioned that 65mm depth speakers were no problem, but as can be seen this is way out!
Its not QUITE against the glass as the existing speaker hole is a little to small but there will definately be nowhere near enough depth.

Does anyone have any mounting ideas as that would need a MEGA mdf ring!

Cheers

You could do an MDF ring, but maybe combine it with fibre glass so the ring smooths off into the doors, and make custom door cards at the same time. At least it wouldn't poke out! Alternatively, find speakers with a smaller depth. I had 17cm speakers in the fronts but the baffles were really small and looked quite good.

micrahistory22.JPG

They looked better on my super s door cards but haven't got a picture of that to hand!

Ideally i'd like to keep these speakers as they came as a set, isn't the speaker depth important for the SQ? If i got shallower speakers would i be sacrificing that?

I'd rather not go the custom door cards route because i don't have time and tbh think that most of the time they don't look that good!

In this picture are your speakers screwed through the doorcard and into the door?

Yep. They're screwed through the baffle, through the door card and into the metal on the door. Your probably right about the sound quality thing, but I don't mean buy those flat ones. Mine aren't 'thin', they're just a different shape to yours, so the cone fits through the hole bit fine. Will find out the depth later if you like as they're not fitted in my car anymore.

my vibes dont fit in that well, i have to put sideward pressure on the window to get it down :upside: lol

I could always locate them further down the door and just accept that i won't be able to fully wind down the window....

Looks like it could be mega mdf ring time, if i run some carpet round maybe it won't look so stupid....

Back