• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

SU carbed k10

Two bits of advice frank gave me were sr20 throtle body betweeen turbo and intake and take apart throtle body in carb and dump valve ,
EDIT : just read your other post , so ill need to build a flange where the carb meets turbo that a dump valve can be placed on

Just another point ive thought of... what about pressure dumping? You don't want it dumping through the carb :confused::eek:
From what I've read, when the throttle is closed, because the carb is before the turbo, the turbo is just pulling against a closed throttle plate so pressure will drop by itself. Or something like that, it's been a while :oops:

As for why? re drawthrough efi. I love the idea of doing a carb drawthrough turbo but I'm not afraid to admit that blow through is better, so if you have efi surely you would go blowthrough. The appeal of drawthrough for me is cheap simplicity :D

Frank said if the dumpvalve was ventilated outside of engine bay ? That or a component of a diesel , have to look at that again

And the throttle body purpose was to prevent oil Problems

Frank said if the dumpvalve was ventilated outside of engine bay ? That or a component of a diesel , have to look at that again

And the throttle body purpose was to prevent oil Problems
So as you drive past a bus stop full of pensioners and come off the throttle you dump unburnt fuel over them? :oops: And one of them is smoking a fag :eek: lol

this is what frank said :
the turbo needs to spool down @ lift, so you would need a diesel recirc valve that sends the fuel/air round in a circle for a second or two while the turbo slows down

so would one of these valves do the trick? or whats your view on the matter Ade?

From what I've read, when the throttle is closed, because the carb is before the turbo, the turbo is just pulling against a closed throttle plate so pressure will drop by itself. Or something like that, it's been a while :oops:

didnt see this part sorry , if that takes place then happy days no valve needed

im not great at this , but with the throttle place closing or closed it would actually make sense that the turbo is only pulling against itself and the pressure will drop , that makes sense to me anyways!

Yea the diesel recirc is one option and a good one but you can run a pipe from dump valve to outside the bay like a mini side exit :p

Unburnt fuel mixture is always coming out of the exhausts of old carb cars :)

Yea it does make sense but a throttle plate never fully closes. So your always drawing an air fuel mix :)

But surely that's better because it will slow the turbo, not stall it
Turbos wont stall as exhaust gas is always passing over them. I'd rather dump or recirc pressure rather than strain the carb or other parts

But hopefully by that time most of the energy is used by the combustion process, it's not pure compressed air/fuel!
Nope that's very true but when dumped its no longer compressed. Going from turbo temp to atmospheric temp that fast condenses the fuel. So burning it off is the safest in dump valves applications

id imagine anyways that that would waste an aweful lot of petrol? if theres a way of avoiding it i will , maybe ill look into getting one of these diesel recirc valves , if there on most diesel cars i might get one for free of a relation who would have scrap diesels ?

The diesel recirc is the alternative :) and that's what I would use
Dump valve is for those who don't care much for fuel economy

Just re read it properly. The dump valve would go post turbo and pre inlet :)

sorry, feeling a little stupid here :p well would it be the exact place that a diesel recirc valve would be fitted? just sussing up the options between this and a dump valve, although dumping the mix, would that not result in a larger fuel consumption than this setup will already use?

sorry, feeling a little stupid here :p well would it be the exact place that a diesel recirc valve would be fitted? just sussing up the options between this and a dump valve, although dumping the mix, would that not result in a larger fuel consumption than this setup will already use?
Yea same place and recircs back to pre carb iirc
And like I said...
Dump valve is for those who don't care much for fuel economy

um just looking on ebay and bits, sorry if this is stupid question, but, will recirc dump valve also completely recirculate without any wastage ? i just cant seem to find recirc valves off a diesel ?

In a blow through a recirc valve is basically a dump valve with a pipe rerouting dumped air back to the airbox
The diesel ones wont be in the same place I believe
Air is constant on a diesel. Its fuel thats regulated iirc. So fuel has to be recirculated when throttle is closed

and correct me if im wrong, but isnt this the times when the bov recirc valve operates ? when the throttle is closed? so if i fit one i just gotta pipe it back to intake?
sorry about all this, id really love to know everything about this before i set it up

and correct me if im wrong, but isnt this the times when the bov recirc valve operates ? when the throttle is closed? so if i fit one i just gotta pipe it back to intake?
sorry about all this, id really love to know everything about this before i set it up
Thats fair enough. Any pressure relief valves operate when throttle is closed. If they did while open you'd never get boost as it would constantly be vented.
It is a simple as fitting it to the inlet pipework. And piping it back to the carb plenum

right ! turbo and recirc valve are on the list, turbo's are tricky enough find ! know a huge breaker and he's out of td04 because of all the galanza's !
he can offer me a VF22 , or he'll see about a t2 but he doesnt know much about them

i have no car at the moment either its still in my mates garage waiting for its test! otherwise id be able to measure up! i wonder would i still have space for turbo, carb , and airfilter if i go for bigger one, hmm better get my car back soon !

hmm , its no garrett, but i could get a greddy t518z for roughly 110 / 120 pounds before iv haggled, says its in good condition, the guy has parts for drift cars, i know id need a new flange and possibly a carbon seal kit but go or no go?

thats the thing i cant see it in person , and im not sure if i trust him! too far away id have to get pictures and buy from pictures, apearently they are big and laggy, so ill keep searching !

H701 says to stay away from diesel turbos so looking for one off a petrol :)
Only because you dont get tge exhaust housing separately these days. The mani is part and parcel. Petrol will be easier as its a sole unit but there's no reason you can't use one
Thinking of simplicity :)

Back