Sill protection

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
I've been inspecting the sills on my SuperS cause they've had plentty on welding from what I can gather.

I want to protect them but look neat so underbody sealer stuff is to be avoided if possible, can I put a layer off fibreglass over then so it hides all the nasty looking weld patches? I can then sand it down so it's flat and smooth then spray black?

One concern would be that an MOTer might think I'm hiding sill damage or something.

Any suggestions / ideas?

no point - as rust penitrates from inside out.
There should be eyelets that let water out of the sills, once these become blocked with gunk, thats when water settles and the rust begins.

Making them look "neat" is secondary. You require to make them stay there, especially if prior work has been on there, then they most likely have rust already.

undersealing a car is, i believe, one of the most important objectives, as this is what makes the car stay on the road ALOT more years.

You can get smooth underseal. this would make it look nicer aswell.

The next step is new sills.

Say a car has had a sill welded (not sure if it's a patch or a complete sill) would it be an indication of how rotten the rest of the car is? What else is prone to rust? Inner wings around the strut tops? Arches, boot floor??

I'm going to be looking at a few and don't want one thats very badly rusted.

Crossmember, give that a good looking at, sometimes it's not visible straight away, poke at it if it crumbles then it's a no go (if seller moans you're just doing what an MOTer would do)
Same for sills including where inner arches meet sills.

Those are the most prone but also check the underbody for holes.

Back