Priming cars and parts?

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
I should be starting with the sill replacement soon as get some time to myself so am planning things that will need to be done.

If/when the sills are fitted they will need priming to protect and I want to use my spray gun for once. What do I need to do to set this up right and what primer is needed as I've been told I'll need etch primer for bare steel. Can the same primer be used for bumpers that have plastic,fibreglass and/or filler?

Cheers

i don't think you can use the same primer.

the point of the primer is to allow the paint to stick to the sureface you're spraying. So if you have a primer for bare metal it will react with the metal and bond with it and then the paint will bond with the primer. but if you use the same primer on plastic then it could melt the plastic or just flake off.

having said that i have a big can of hellfrauds primer which i use on everything and then i just use loads of laquer to keep the paint in place.... but this is not the best way...

I've had such a nightmare with Hellfrauds paint before, wouldn't touch it with a barge pole! :)

Speaking personally of course, i know a lot of people say it's pretty good.

Scares me lol

I've used it fine, no problems but I need enoough primer to cover several bumpers and entire sills, thats a lot or spray cans, perfect time to learn it with a gun

pricey as hell it is... ooh went a bit Yoda then ?!?!

i got some paint for a spray gun, and it was £400 for the whole car!!

but then its metal pearl oooooh yummy

Back