Overheating when boosted

M

mr.grassie

New problem i have got with my blown cg13de is overheating.

She is perfectly fine under normal driving conditions, and will act just like any normal micra, until you put the foot down.

The poor we thing heats up really really fast, and starts to boil the coolant.

Have been over the whole cooling system, and there doesnt seem to be any blockages or leaks, fan works fine.

Im now thinking that the standard radiator just isnt up to the job of keeping the temp down when running high bhp. So i have been thinking of swaping it for somthing a bit more rebust.

I was at one of my mates garages, and he had a diesel Nova Van up on the ramps, and the rad on it seemed to about the right hight, and the nossles seemed to be about the same. bit its twice as wide as the standard micra one. if i were to fit it, i would do it with two fans to aid it also.

Anyone got any suggestions as to what fits (with a little persuasion) before i go round the scrap yards looking for parts?

thanks guys.

Yea - you'll need to get a better raditior as the standard one won't take the abuse from a turbo. What about one from a honda Civic, its a near enough fit with mounts etc, but its bigger.

When George did his 200sx with the RB26 he had to get a 405 radatior with twin fans. Was the only thing to keep it cool enough.

you recon that the civic one would do the job?

any particular year or model I should look out for?

richmicratwista said:
thought racworks was a custom 1??

Correct

A GA16 one should do you, have a nosey on eBay, sometimes you can get some real bargains off the rs turbo people

hmm i would check the themostat is opening properly. The ST still has the same rad as a K10. 1.2 and makes 3x the power without overheating. (just keeps blowing gearboxes ARGHHHHHHH) anyway. Check the thermostat first before you do anything.

mines a custome jobby ££££ a primera 2.0 one would work wonderd theres one on ebay but it fills the whole of the front apature

I have just reviewed a datalog of the ST, I hope this should show that the rad you have should be fine, since its very similar size. If anything I have discoverd that the ST runs too cold, and I must check that the thermostat closes as it should!!

Attachments

• temp.jpg
    temp.jpg
    241.7 KB · Views: 224
  • lane.jpg
    lane.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 225
I should add that the pretty flat light blue line is engine water temp!

Try getting a higher grade coolant. Maybe your coolant is too old and its that thats not up to the job, not your radiator. Ed if the thermostat was gone surely the fan wouldnt kick in?

Daz :alien:

the civic one i had wasnt alot bigger than the standard one tbh but it worked fine on the ga16,,,we thought the 2.0ltr one was abit too big and the 1.3 was too small so we went in the middle

K10Daz said:
Ed if the thermostat was gone surely the fan wouldnt kick in?

Daz :alien:

If the thermostat does not open fully but it can open a little it would still provide enough heat to turn on the fan. Thermostats do go wrong and they are simple to test, just remove from the car and put in boiling water, they are cheap anyway, so may as well just replace it.

cool cheers guys, i was in my local bits shop today, and bought a new thermostat, only £3. if its not that ill have a spare.

was thinking of possible water pump issues too. could this possibly cause such a problem?

now getting a little peed off constantly having to put water in it.

it could be the water pump leaking, my friends 1242 cinq sporting was leaking water and overheating because the water pump was knackered

no such thinng as a stupid question my friend.

trust me, she is running very very rich.

i like to play it safe when it comes to boosting.

Back