oil change what should I use?

k11_whore

Steve :)
Since owning the car from november on 45k when was last serviced its now sitting on 62k and what's best oil to use I.e make and wink, asdoin service end of month? And how much would I need? Thanks in advance

10w40 and i can't even remember the exact amount but get a 5l bottle and check your dipstick. let it run for a bit and check/top up again if necessary.

If you have quite a bit of modifications and have maybe 3 figure bhp, you should get 5w40 fully synthetic. OpieOils is the best place for oil. I got just this morning (no joke just arrived!) the awesome Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-40 Ester Synthetic Engine Oil - 5 Litres! Be quick and buy though as it is on sale for £43, over £7 off! Link: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68897-fuchs-titan-race-pro-s-5w-40-ester-synthetic-engine-oil.aspx

Oil Man recommends 5w40 fully synthetic for modified cars (is on old posting on here when he was giving recommendations for everyones spec, search for it). Fully Synthetic lasts longer and clings to engine parts far better than semi-synthetic oil :p

From the website, "It is particularly recommended for high performance engines where its exceptional shear stability and wear protection help to maintain consistent power output and reliability. The full synthetic base fluid ensures that the products are thermally stable and extremely resistant to oxidation, even when stressed to the extremes of endurance." Also 5w40 seems perfect in our environment - frequently cold weather suits cold rating of 5 as well as staying thick at full temperature to protect our revvy nissan engines! But I am not sure about higher mileage cars if this is suitable? All I know is always go fully synthetic for superior protection and for longer lasting oil!

Just for info, I use Pro+power gold fully Synthetic 5w/40 and paid £15.59 for 5 litres.

Adding a flush before changing 17,000 mile old oil might be a good idea.

Thanks for info will be buying on nxt payday as filled her up :) my engines pretty much standard as did quotes with engine mods and cudnt afford it till got my years no claim, soon as it comes straight away engine swap or get 1.3 super and get it boosted :p adding a flush? Bit thick of me but :suspect:

I've always used 5w30 fully synthetic, any quality make will do the job, and i tend to use Nissan filters.

Exactly, me too :). I wouldn't use a flush either. If there is loads of crud in there, you risk a lump of it clogging the oil pickup and destroying the engine. A fully synthetic will keep the engine plenty clean enough.

I'm about to do a full service, does the sump plug just need a 10mm bit? someone did the oil change last time for me so I've completely forgotten :doh:

Hi how do you use this do you put it in with the old oil or after you drain it with engine running?

I've not used it myself, the local garage use it when they get a car in that hasn't been serviced for while. I'm going to give it a go, I think with the drain plug not being at the very bottom of the sump means a fair bit of dirty oil is left in the sump, my oil gets discoloured a lot quicker than I'd like.
You add it to the old oil and run the engine with it in before changing, but don't know how long for, I guess it says on the label.

Is it roughly 3.5ltrs-4 ltrs litres or so that the engine takes? I bought 5ltrs and have around 1 - 1.5ltrs left. I filled up to the level of the groove/bend in the dipstick whilst the engine was completely cold, it's a bit difficult to be 100% with the dipstick as it smeared quite a bit. I'm always scared of over filling it.

Yes 3.5 to 4.0 litres, mine dips cleanly after a wipe
great, thanks for the confirmation (Y) I'll leave it ideling for a while in the morning and check the dipstick again to make sure, it smeared each time I checked it after it was wiped off so I was worried I might have over filled slightly.

Another query for the mechanically minded, could somone upload a pic where ya fill gearbox full of oil, my gears sounding really dry and hard to put into gear so gona change that oil aswell

I was doing some paint jobs and other stuff on the car today so I checked the dipstick again and I think I did maybe over fill the oil that day. Is it right that the maximum level on the dipstick is where the indentation is on it? My oil level is a good inch over that point. I've only left the car idling once after I did the oil change for about ten minutes so it's not been driven at all yet.

I was doing some paint jobs and other stuff on the car today so I checked the dipstick again and I think I did maybe over fill the oil that day. Is it right that the maximum level on the dipstick is where the indentation is on it? My oil level is a good inch over that point. I've only left the car idling once after I did the oil change for about ten minutes so it's not been driven at all yet.
yeah the indent is the top of the textured metal part.
over the top is not really a good idea if you plan on thrashing it.

There's normally a cross-hatched area on the stick Tezz between the bends. Where's the level compared to that?

I'd loosen the drain nut off and, with a bowl under it, undo the last thread by hand and carefully let half a pint of oil out and screw the bolt back in quickly. Keep checking 'til it's at that last bend :).

I'd loosen the drain nut off and, with a bowl under it, undo the last thread by hand and carefully let half a pint of oil out and screw the bolt back in quickly. Keep checking 'til it's at that last bend :).

Thanks mate, I'd best do that tomorrow. My fault for rushing it at the end of a long day.

I've just took a photo of the dipstick as I'm no good at describing! (This was about 4ltrs btw)
dipstick.png

:p It turns out that I've made a stupid mistake. I released some oil from the sump and rechecked the level.. still too high... let some more out.. still too high .. continued until I noticed.. s**t I've let out like 2 ltrs, whys the level never going down? I've never noticed that the bottom of my driveway has a sloping decline to it until I really stood back and looked at it today :laugh: what an idiot. I don't think I've got enough left to top it up now. the container I was using to drain had antifreeze and contiminates in it so I couldn't reuse the oil. I guess I'll have to jack the front of the car up to compensate for the unlevel surface, I'm not sure how to determine when the car is straight :wasntme:
I did at least manage to fix the broken lug on my parcel shelf earlier transplanting one from a donor so not a total waste of a day

*EDIT.. I think the simplist way for me to determine how much to jack the car up to get it straight would be to put a length of wood on the ground with a long builders spirit level on it and pack it until it's level. The height from the ground to the wood then determines how much it needs to be jacked.

i was gonna ask you if it was on level ground tezz, but i did,nt want to insult your intelligence (i should have known better :laugh:)

be careful with fully synthetic make sure you get the engine nice and warm before you drain the old s*** as fully synthetic can loosen the carbonized deposits i found this out the harsh way lol. if your engine has been well serviced and the old stuff doesn't look to bad its not that much of a panic. if you are in the red line most of the time then yeah fully synthetic is the way forward and look into fitting an oil cooler as well that seemed to making a massive difference on my old corolla that went everywhere at no less than 8 1/2 k lol. never missed a beat.

Go for 5w40 fully synthetic. Check opieoils for the biggest, amazing range of oils in the uk. The oil expert oilman from there, always recommends going for fully synthetic as it really does protect and look after the engine better and for longer. Also, 5w30 is better for economy and is used in the majority of new cars now, but 5w40 is more for performance as it is thicker so will protect better when you are thrashing the engine about. Also 5w30 in higher mileage cars may not be a good idea as it is thinner at higher temperatures. 5w40 fully synthetic all the way!

what does haynes munual say ?

i dont have a haynes manual :(

Go for 5w40 fully synthetic. Check opieoils for the biggest, amazing range of oils in the uk. The oil expert oilman from there, always recommends going for fully synthetic as it really does protect and look after the engine better and for longer. Also, 5w30 is better for economy and is used in the majority of new cars now, but 5w40 is more for performance as it is thicker so will protect better when you are thrashing the engine about. Also 5w30 in higher mileage cars may not be a good idea as it is thinner at higher temperatures. 5w40 fully synthetic all the way!

yeah its only the 1liter engine lol, its got about 108k miles on it as well. dont horse it that much tbh, dont have a tachmeter to tell me if im anywhere near the red line =\.

but seems like im going to use 5w40 when i get round to servicing it

i dont have a haynes manual :(

yeah its only the 1liter engine lol, its got about 108k miles on it as well. dont horse it that much tbh, dont have a tachmeter to tell me if im anywhere near the red line =\.

but seems like im going to use 5w40 when i get round to servicing it

use your ears lol

Back