MDF speaker spacers

jonnyfatman

Ex. Club Member
Hi everybody. This is my first post so treat me nicely.
I'm getting a 2001 Micra 1.0l this weekend that has been bought for for me, and from what I read, the speakers are gonna be a bit crap.
From what I gather, up to 6.5" ones will go in, but the depth is a problem.
I just wanted to know if fitting an MDF spacer ring of a few mm is going to mean that I need to cut out the factory grille that is part of the door panel. Or is there still a bit of space left between the speaker and the grille?

Cheers o_O

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
Depends on what grill type you have (integrated into a door pocket or mounted directly flat against the door card).

Your maximum mounting depth is 55mm, you could always get some special 'slim' speakers for the doors :)

I made rings for mine, as my speakers are 75mm deep, but I will need to fibreglass the speaker grills in order for it to all fit in!

OP
OP
J

jonnyfatman

Ex. Club Member
Just driven the Micra back from Brid. It's got the plastic door pockets so there might be a bit more space. I can't believe how rubbish the standard stereo setup is. It's so tinny. Anyway. I'm gonna have to get a better setup sorted so at least there'll be something to look forward to when I get in the car to put up with the 'bus style' gearstick and stiff/jerky clutch pedal!!! o_O

S

Slim

so at least there'll be something to look forward to when I get in the car to put up with the 'bus style' gearstick and stiff/jerky clutch pedal!!! o_O

Hmm, the sure sign of the renault K11

OP
OP
J

jonnyfatman

Ex. Club Member
Right. Gettin used to the way the car drives now. Leeds seems a pretty good place to hone your skills!!
Back to the speakers. I've got plasticy door-pocket grilles on my doors. Does the speaker come right up to the inside of the grille, or will there be any space for spacers. Sorry if I'm repeating myself it's just that there's no clear guide on this particular subject. If anybody knows loads about this, it might be good if they could make a guide!? :laugh:

OP
OP
J

jonnyfatman

Ex. Club Member
Panic over. got me a JVC KD-LH401 for £119 (end of line sale bargain) from halfords and some cheap sony 17cm speakers. Fitted everything myself. Wasn't too difficult apart from shop assistant telling me i wouldn't need various adapters when I did. It all sounds so much better now and as an added bonus I learnt a bit more about how my car goes together. :laugh: