Being in a Washing machine is NOT fun!!!!

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Hmmm. Feeling a bit shakey today...

Was in an early 80's toyota 4runner on a day out. Went down to queen mary falls in SE QLD/northern NSW. I wasnt navigating (when i should have been). Trying to head home, decided we'd go on cunningham highway. So we headed to stanthorpe and just followed big signs. Ended up on a fairly main gravel road.

Road was an 80 zone, old slow car was struggling to do 70. Coming around a corner, the corner turned into dust from gravel and grabbed the left hand rear wheel. Oversteer... Driver corrected but the other side grabbed the soft dusty shoulder of the road again (as soon as i felt the rear of the car become unsettled again I just braced myself). That was it. Front wheels dug in and the car started rolling.

YAY! Washing machine effect. For those of you who have never experienced a roll over before - its just like it is in the movies. Freaky ****.

Anyway, a few scratches on front seat passengers, I don't have a bruise on me, and my mate next to me (was Michael that you brissy people met on the cruise) has a bruise.

As soon as the car had stopped moving, i was instructing on what to do. heh. Front seat passengers climbed out the drivers side window (was resting on its side) and then i guided michael out and then i followed.

Anyway everything else is irrelevant. I suppose i'm just venting.

A nice guy on a property up the road came over and let us hang at his place. He gave me the keys to his GQ Patrol ute and told me to use it to drive down the road when the towtruck arrives to do recover the wreck. What a nice guy. As if he hadnt done enough already. He didnt seem surpised or confused at what had happened either. Infact, he had rolled his Holden Calais and his nissan patrol TWICE on the same part of the road a few years ago. Apparently it happens at least once every 4 weeks on his strech of the road... The last accident was a Volkswagen demo drive with a slightly upgraded/new motor Passat. A girl lost control on the same corner and flipped the brand new Passat a few times (through his fence which he was not impressed at).

So it seems the corner has a bit of history about it, and when we got to his place he showed us a letter from main roads - it was due to be re-surfaced in asphalt in only 4 weeks time.

Bugger!

He was too nice. We were there for dinner and he fed us one of his own cows. (which he had prepared earlier). Wasnt spectacular (he overcooked it haha) but if it had been done right (just a smidgen of pink inside) it would probably would have been the best steak I have eaten in a LONG time.

Anyway I'm talking too much as usual and I think I need another sleep. haha.

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
Whos car was it? Glad your ok mate. Try doing that in a micra and you'd be in real trouble:( take it easy next time. My Mum and Brother were in a roll ova just outside Roma (my brother was driving with L plates)heading north to Mt Isa. Scary stuff alright. They were in a brand new Pintara that Mum had purchased not a month earlier and, well it was a sight. They were both fine but the car was writen off.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Actually I reckon the micra would have been safer - it probably wouldnt have rolled in the first place.

Added to that the 4runner basically has a fibreglass roof - its amazing it didnt break and expose me and michael to the outside....

Back