worn front drive?

CMF_carlos

» CMF Member
i think my front right drive is worn it makes a loud clacking sound when i drive on full lock.is this easy to replace for some one with little mechanical knowledge? also do you need any special tools?. the ccar is a 97 normal 1litre micra(sorry no super turbo mods!) thanks carl

CMF_carlos

» CMF Member
thanks for that link frank, i will get a haynes manual and give it a try looks fairly straight forward. thanks again carl

CMF_challenger

» CMF Member
you should change the entire shaft.its pretty easy,i did that myself.take the wheel off,take the king pin off,take the bottom end of the shock off and pull the shaft.firstly dry the gear box oil so you dont need to throw it away,you can use the same.when pulling the shaft stick gently a flat screw driver at the base of the shaft on the gear box,this will help you remove it easier.

CMF_sarge3uk

» CMF Member
its the c.v boot it has ripped and all the grease has come out and has made the joint go dry it jus wants a c.v joint packed with grease and a new boot

i get cars in ta wirk that do this and theyve all been the c.v joint cause the boot failed

CMF_carlos

» CMF Member
thanks for the help. got it done seems fine. i would suggest that any one thinking of doing this on a 1998 or earlier model try and leave the drive shaft in as you have to fill the gear oil up through the speedo housing and i found this very awkward to get to.thanks again for the help. carl

carlos WROTE:

"thanks for the help. got it done seems fine. i would suggest that any one thinking of doing this on a 1998 or earlier model try and leave the drive shaft in as you have to fill the gear oil up through the speedo housing and i found this very awkward to get to.thanks again for the help. carl

wtf? there's a bung on the front of the gearbox, atleast there is on our aussie cars.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Correct, the pre ~1998 1L K11 have a different smaller gearbox (as used on the K10) that does not have the bung in the front.

There is no reason to take the inner CV out of the gearbox if changing an outer, aside from making extra, messy, work for yourself.

Also, if the CV is only making noise on full lock, it will still last quite a long time. On a daily driven 1.3L, the CV's only really started making bad noise while driving straight ahead, after about 4 years.

Back