idle problem....wtf?

CMF_rowstar

» CMF Member
Hi guys,
I have an idle problem with my stock '95 super S. The car has had a carbon clean just a month ago which was supposed to fix a rough idle ( i searched this forum and read this remedy also). I have just bought this car so I'm unfamiliar with it mechanically.

SYMPTOMS: When cruising around and being gentle the car is fine. Idel seems normal (800rpm) and not fluctuating. The problem occurs when i drive it a little harder, say for a minute or so, and then have to come to a stop like an intersection - it stalls. As i'm braking i can see the car wants to stall. Once stopped it stalls instantly.

When these symptoms start happening i can also feel uneven fuel being delivered while driving at steady revs. Say 3000rpm in 3rd I can feel slight spluttering.

If i turn the car off for a few minutes and restart...it is fine again.
It will drive fine if i'm gentle with it, but if i drive it quickly or take it above 5000rpm the problem starts as soon as i start braking to stop completely.

I've got a date with nissan in a week for it's first service so i don't wanna get stung by them. Would be good to get some extra knowledge on what it may be.
Thanks any help will be good!!

Attachments

• 42197.jpg
    42197.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 43

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Is it only happening as the engine gets hotter? if so it could be a cam angle sensor which would mean a replacement distributor I think.

And what ever the Nissan service dept say I'd be getting a second opinion :)

CMF_rowstar

» CMF Member
ok...i've driven the car moderately, a bit quick here and there, but fairly normal driving for about an hour in the heat....i figured that should be enough to test if it's only happening when it gets hot.

It was fine the whole time. I know that if i'd fanged it above 5000rpm for a bit, it would start trying to stall though.

CMF_drivnhrd

» CMF Member
i think you might find that there is a valve under the accelerate cable at the RHS of the intake manifold. it fills with coolant and when temps get warm it drops the revs. there is a bolt and nut that can be adjusted to stop it from reeving to low and stalling. this along with maybe adjusting the black screw on the other side of the intake manifold may help....pics would to but i don't have any. will get some up if you don't solve it first

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
clean ur idle air valve with carb or brake cleaner making sure the valve rotates freely.
check my post here under 29-08-07 for a pic
https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/28318

drive around to warm the engine up to normal temperature
turn off engine
disconnect the throttle position sensor on the TB
restart engine and rev at 2-3k for few secs
now adjust the black idle screw til it idles round 750rpm
turn off & reconnect throttle sensor

on mine, i've removed the thermo wax plunger part cos it's seized and does the same job as the IAV. also bypassed the coolant pipes that originally runs through the TB, keeps the TB cooler.

CMF_rowstar

» CMF Member
ok after having driven the car around a little more i have discovered that infact it is not stalling after driving hard.
It just tries to stall every 4-5 minutes. it will drive very well...then all of a sudden it will try to stall.
If i just start the car and leave it in neutral stopped, i can watch it try to stall every 4-5 minutes. Most of the time it will a l m o s t stall but catch itself and keep running on like 100rpm then all of a sudden it jumps straight back to 800rpm and then repeats this process in 4-5 min time.

crazy...

it's booked in this Fri at nissan.

CMF_rowstar

» CMF Member
After a full check up at Nissan my Micra is in top shape apparently...compression test came up at 190psi all cylinders!!

They wanted 1000 bucks to replace the Throttle Body to fix the idle/fuel probelm.

....so, i went and did some surgery on it using the re-soldering guide on this forum and guess what............i think it's bloody worked after a quick drive!!!

Just have to wait 72 hours for silicon to dry on the seal, and then head to work in it on monday.... that will be the test!

sweet! saved a grand i hope

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
I wish that trick had fixed mine... it seemed to for a little while, but the hesitation is still there. I just dont' have the cash or time at the moment to get parts for it myself, or have somebody look at it...

Stupid mortgage lol.

Sounds good though if you think it has fixed it.

Back