Whole car repaint

CMF_RedK11

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,

just bought a 2nd hand Micra not long ago. it's got some dents, rust spots and paint is peeling off right left and center :(
I'm saving up money to get it fix and repainted. Does anyone knows how much for just a straight re-paint?
It'll give me some ideas on how much it will cost on mine. Cheers.

CMF_Jon (2)

» CMF Member
Really depends mate. Some quotes may be about 500 and some will be over 10k. Its really The case of "you get what you pay for"
Other factors like prep work and cutting out rust will influence the price.
Straight repaint isn't as easy as it sounds. Preping the surface correctly is the stage that needs the most time. 90% prep, 10% paint.

The other option is to give it a go yourself.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
I would say a closed door respray would be quoted at anything from 2000-5000 a proper respray with engine and that out can be over 10k.

If its not that bad you can get cash jobs done for 1k-2k though quality might be a factor.

Paint is not an easy question to quote on with out looking at the car closely. With most rust jobs its normally alot worse then actually looking at it. When you start digging it gets worst.

Best bet is to drive around and get prices.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
Like Sik said bout the rust, could be like an iceberg with just the tip showing.

if its rusted from the outside then generally the rust will be a little further than the bubbled paint but if its rusted thru from the inside its a whole lot worse than it looks. i've seen a car with a few small spots at the front of a sill panel, when we got stuck into it the whole sill was paper thin, rusted from the inside out.

also depends where the rust is, around screens means the glass has to come out to repair it and that adds time and costs.

the cost of a respray really depends where you go and what you want.
i've heard quotes to do a basic colour, not metallic or pearl or anything special and closed door, vary from $500 to $25 000...

some really top cars hav been painted in sheds, its all time to make a good looking job. paint is about $65 a litre from autopro and they'll get it mixed to the paint code you supply, workquip spraygun i priced at $69 today (they're really good, all stainless internals) you could hire a compressor and hav a go.

CMF_AB-NRML

» CMF Member
i'm gonna hav a go at painting mine sometime since the car is green, the bonnet is white and the grille is red.
i'm taking the easy route and painting it a flat/matte colour, that'll save me having to fix all the dents and is the easiest to spray and still get a decent lookin finish without too much effort.

CMF_Pierce

» CMF Member
AB-NRML ^^^

Even if you are going matte colors I feel compelled to tell you to try your hand at body repairs, from experience I can tell you that without proper preparation of the car surface even mattes will flake off or fade out. Besides that you have 3 different colored surfaces and even two coats primer could still let a subtle difference through from panel to panel.

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
Micras r cheap, ur probably better off saving and buying one with good paint and then u have ur old 1 4 spares, my micra has faded and peeling paint but no rust, this is because nissan coats its metal, even the top of my drivers door although peeled back to metal still isnt rusting, this is because it hasnt had any accident damage, once it has been repaired after accident damage this coating is disturbed by the straightning process and if not repaired properly and painted/rustproofed properly will come back as rust in a short time, sound like ur micra may have had a hard life. for the price of a good paintjob u could probably buy a half decent super s

CMF_RedK11

» CMF Member
Thanks for the advices guys.
I certainly don't want to spend more than a grand for fix and repaint, (and judging from the advices it looks like it's gonna be more)so I think I might give it a go at it myself.

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
if you stuff it it can cost more in the long run. If you dont prep and paint properly you can cause cancer spots in the paint due to moisture whilst prepping and also painting. Then this can cause more rust problems then first there. There is a rule i go by and that is you can look good or be fast. Having best of both worlds is so bloody expensive in which case i always say if you cant do most of it your self buy it already built.

Back