thoughts on liquid to air intercooling

CMF_Majiga

» CMF Member
i originally had in place my pwr barrel intercooler with a yamaha radiator and caravan water pump. Since then ive researched once the water gets warm it stays warm air cooling can only do so much. so..... I opted for this.
i got myself a jbj mini arctic 40gal aquarium water chiller to run off a 1000w inverter. using the caravan water pump and a 10 litre tank as a reservior. the chiller controls temps from 0 degress and 32 degress celcius. only requires 460 watts to run and will be hardwired to run only when the car is running so as long as i get a decent battery and the alternator is running properly it should in theory all work well.

Attachments

• 75482.jpg
    75482.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 23

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
I'm not sure if it will work using an aquarium chiller to run the cooling...

It takes time for the chiller to effectively cools down the water. Unlike aquarium water, engine temperature can rise at a very fast speed. When the chiller kicks in and starts to work, it might already be too late...

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
He's going to refrigerate the water in the water/air intercooler. An interesting idea I guess, but how much gain will there be once you factor in the possible extra weight and load on the engine with the upgraded batteries and alternator running all the time and the cooling equipment etc?

My understanding was that the water/air intercoolers were already pretty good at maintaining a fairly level temperature aready?

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
"My understanding was that the water/air intercoolers were already pretty good at maintaining a fairly level temperature aready?"

True water have a higher heat co-efficient therefore can cool intake air alot better than normal air-air intercooler. However once the water temp reach a certain level you must find someway of cooling the water or its just gonna boil therefore ull need some kind of heat exchanger like a radiator to cool the water down. Need something to circulate the water and some kind of reservor to store excess water. This all add weight. Not worth it for the outcome similar to what a air-air intercooler will do over time anyway.

If your still interested go down to ur local junk yard look for celica GT4 GRoup A rally car or Liberty Gt twin turbo car and get a setup there. I did play around with water-air intercooler in the past and they are not worth it. Only good if the car u use is limited to space ie, toyota mr2 where big air-air intercooler isnt practical.

CMF_Majiga

» CMF Member
i already have it all ready to set up i wasnt really worried about weight factor as itll have no back seats in it. it was more for constant cooling driving the long trips down south. as for power gains my car already has enough of that. im not trying to make it run cold for more power was just simply longevity in cooling. the water pumped through doesnt really get time to get hot enough to worry the chiller my mate uses them for his aquariums they get cold very fast and my theory was to try and sustain a certain temp at all times cooling the barrel.

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Yeah, I know you'd need to run a heat exchanger and need to circulate the water etc which was what I was getting at, if you have all that set up, it should be pretty good already right? :)

Unless the Micra is constantly going to be on boost, then the water cooler should have been a pretty good option I would have thought, rather than having to remove aircon and cut up the front end to fit a big front mount...

Having said that, I've never had a turbo, and my micra is just a cheap on fuel daily, so yeah, lol.

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
Majiga WROTE:

"i already have it all ready to set up i wasnt really worried about weight factor as itll have no back seats in it. it was more for constant cooling driving the long trips down south. as for power gains my car already has enough of that. im not trying to make it run cold for more power was just simply longevity in cooling. the water pumped through doesnt really get time to get hot enough to worry the chiller my mate uses them for his aquariums they get cold very fast and my theory was to try and sustain a certain temp at all times cooling the barrel.

But with the chiller at the backseat, did you consider the heat the chiller is going to produce while activated? Your car will be a baking oven mate...

seems like a massive effort for very little benefit, the only one i can think of is shorter intercooler piping. barrel coolers are really only ever used in drag cars as like said the water gets hot quick. micra's don't have a tendancy to get hot, even when turbo'd, and even with the stock radiator, even on a track lol. i wouldn't of bothered with a barrel cooler in the first place, and cooling it, running invertors, chillers, lines back and forth throughout the car.

CMF_RTK

» CMF Member
turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"seems like a massive effort for very little benefit, the only one i can think of is shorter intercooler piping. barrel coolers are really only ever used in drag cars as like said the water gets hot quick. micra's don't have a tendancy to get hot, even when turbo'd, and even with the stock radiator, even on a track lol. i wouldn't of bothered with a barrel cooler in the first place, and cooling it, running invertors, chillers, lines back and forth throughout the car.

This guy knows his ****, listen to him, and you shall learn

RTK WROTE:

"turbo march-rolling shell WROTE:

"seems like a massive effort for very little benefit, the only one i can think of is shorter intercooler piping. barrel coolers are really only ever used in drag cars as like said the water gets hot quick. micra's don't have a tendancy to get hot, even when turbo'd, and even with the stock radiator, even on a track lol. i wouldn't of bothered with a barrel cooler in the first place, and cooling it, running invertors, chillers, lines back and forth throughout the car. "</div>

This guy knows his ****, listen to him, and you shall learn

dont get too excited, just giving my 2cents. what majiga has in mind is a great idea. just heaps of stuffing around for not much benefit, unless its gonna be a dedicated drag racer, then you could just build a box around the cooler, fill it with dry ice and ya beers. big ass shiny front mount for all the po-po to see ftw, instead of building an aquarium in your boot :p.

CMF_Majiga

» CMF Member
well thats half the problem the po po in my town are hardcases they even call one here robocop lol and for good reason. yeah its a lot of mucking around, i found air to air get beaten up easily in the front of the car like my last one did even with a cover to protect it. i lost my license for 6 months due to last accident i was in so i got time to burn overthinking stuff lol. and yeh your probably right about it being a waste of effort but i like being less cookie cutter. car is mostly going to be hillclimb drag event car. trying to squeeze it into road registered classes. barrel intercoolers get used a hell of alot on 4x4 i got most of my info on them from 4x4 pages they seemed to have used them more than other cars

Majiga WROTE:

"well thats half the problem the po po in my town are hardcases they even call one here robocop lol and for good reason. yeah its a lot of mucking around, i found air to air get beaten up easily in the front of the car like my last one did even with a cover to protect it. i lost my license for 6 months due to last accident i was in so i got time to burn overthinking stuff lol. and yeh your probably right about it being a waste of effort but i like being less cookie cutter. car is mostly going to be hillclimb drag event car. trying to squeeze it into road registered classes. barrel intercoolers get used a hell of alot on 4x4 i got most of my info on them from 4x4 pages they seemed to have used them more than other cars

haha yeh definately a better alternative for the po-po, heaps of guys use them on 4x4's, mainly because they smash air to air cores when there hanging out the front of the car. great for offroad. i've heard water injection can severly damage valves/guides/pistons etc if not setup precisely, though haven't had any experience myself :s

CMF_Majiga

» CMF Member
yeah im not going to bother with water injection that just sounds like a tuning headache to me with the system im using i can just dump ice into the reservoir and set the chiller to 0 degress and away i go. yeah the bloody popo ive even got myself a set of stock 14" steelies and hubcaps with some nice kumho ku31 185/55/14's to give me that grandma look lmao

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Some interesting reading but all together heavily simplified. Probably why the term 'heat exchanger' and 'heat sink' are easily confused?

The water injection article is better overall and it does nicely describe the reasons behind the uses of water injection. Most ricers view it in the modern world as a bolt on for inadequate intercooling ;)

Back