Smoothed Boot - Number Plate Light

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
Hello!

I should be getting a smoothed boot this weekend but I'm in need of some help when it comes to re-wiring the number plate light.

Is it just the fact of extending the wires and drilling a couple of holes in the bumper?

Hello!

I should be getting a smoothed boot this weekend but I'm in need of some help when it comes to re-wiring the number plate light.

Is it just the fact of extending the wires and drilling a couple of holes in the bumper?

the only rules are:

the plate must be lit
it must be visable
and it must be attached safely

you get all that sorted any way you can and you will be fine :D

i've found a kit which includes 2 lights that you fit to the top corners of the plate.But what i need to know is.....is it just simple extending the wires and drilling it through the bumper?

You don't need to extend the wiring - you can use the original wiring that you remove from the boot to light it.
How much is that kit - a cheaper way can be to have a look around a scrappy for the lights off another vehicle, then swapping the plugs over.
Craig

Hmm not sure how well they will illuminate, have you seen them in the flesh so to speak?
I'd be inclined to get a set from another car as well, just in case the police get funny about the LED ones.
Craig

Sorry to bump this topic...

Smoothed boot went over to sprayers today and got a call later on saying the previous owner used expanding foam to fill in the boot.So now my mate is gonna have to remove all the foam and wield a plate in etc etc.

Anyway i had a look round my scrap yard today and all the number plate lights seem to be hidden up much like the standard micra ones.

I noticed the bulb itself is in a casing but i'd need something to shield it down so it doesnt blind drivers behind.

Any ideas?

hey buddy, that link you posted above.....has a small cut out for the light to shine through! so yo position those screw lights facing "down" or "right+left" and you wont blind other drivers!!!! they are not like a torch!!

if you got it from Kristian your boot...he uses the expanding foam!!!

nah it wasnt from kristian,got it off a micra off ebay,think he was a member of here once.

Anyway,nah i meant the standard bulb holder from the standard boot handle on a K11,not the ones i posted in the link :)

ohh ok!
well be abit tricky i reckon to make the standard lights work, but all you would need in theory......is a top cover!! cut around the lights and the boot handle and guess you would need to fit to bumper and the smooth the edges out with filler!!! figure out where you want to fit the lights....above plate or either side of plate!

To save the hassle with filler and remaking a holder etc etc i might aswell spend 12 quid and get those lights i posted in the link ^^^

dont use the original number plate light wiring, too much hassle.

just jump a cable into the sidelight wiring on one of the rear lights...easy peasy. remember to grab an earth aswell.

Back