PistonHeads.com: Daytime lights issue hots up

What a joke. I agree with the CO2 nutcases on this one. Daytime lights are pointless, and the only people with an excuse to use them are people on motorbikes..

IT HAS BEEN SHOWN TO REDUCE ACCIDENTS. It is easier to distinguish between a moving and stationary car if they have their lights on, I honestly can't believe you can't see this. Even the Americans use a day time lights system.

So have speed cameras (apparently) For 100 years the UK have not had them, and in yet another attempt to improve safety of the driver by engineering rather than teaching awareness, EU decides to overrule all and waste more energy by forcing everyone to have their lights on.

Lets not account for energy wasted alone in having lights on but also the manufacturer of more bulbs and wasted energy as they don't last so long, nor will the alternator components on a car or even drive belts. My point is that with everyone banging on about saving CO2 emissions and then saying all cars must have lights on ALL THE TIME is a COMPLETE AND UTTER JOKE.
Thats millions and millions of more cars producing a massive amount of extra combined waste.

I think alot of this DaDRL stuff is, as usual people are scared of change. I've go in built DRL's on my bike and have always driven with my lights on.

I've not got the time to argue the point on here because I've got a lunch meeting in a bit, but I think you can all guess my stance on the matter. Oh and my car puts out 200g/km (or is it mile) or CO2.

Bikes are fine as they need to be seen, but its not hard to spot a moving car, and it usually fairly obvious which ones are parked and which ones are moving, from there position on the road... also the fact they are moving usually gives it away lol

As someone that regularly stands in the middle of the road directing traffic I want to point out that there are an awful lot of drivers out there that take little to no interest in whats on the road ahead of them.

My arguement is, that any method of highlighting that there is an object there which may move is a positive step, and Arnold, I know you may think that a moving car is always easy to spot, but to be honest that's not always the case. If your out on in a semi-rural/rural area and a car is coming at you along a line of parked cars with the sun behind it, it can be almose impossible to spot which is which. I would say especially in winter with the low sun, but it can be just as bad in summer with glare from reflections and other distractions.

Then what are side lights for?
I use mine in low level light to let people know I'm actually driving but if you seriously can't see a moving car in normal light then you shouldbn't be on the road.
It's a pointless waste of energy, education is the only way to improve safety on the road now, adding new lights or cameras is pointless! My mom for example has stated to learn again after about 15 years, she knows nothing tbh and it's hard to get her to understand and trust.

IF we are to have daytime lights they need to be a different colour as standard yellowy/white headlights can blend in with sun light or seem like a reflection of a car.

I Agree too, does anyone know why Volvo has them in the first place?

Since Sweden doesnt have alot of daylight especialy during the winter, Volvo decieded to have the lights on all the time. And they didnt bother to remove this feature for U.K. based cars

I think this could be a good idea!

If people follow it, then it will stop those annoying people that don't have the sidelights on as it goes dark!

i drive with dipped lights in both dull light and really bright conditions for the benefit of other road users...

and obviously use the full headlights when night driving...

but to use them in normal daylight would be a bit daft regardless of energy and ecu issues...

Back