Petrol Smell

CMF_musicman

» CMF Member
Hi everyone,
I have owned a micra for 2 weeks now....
I get a petrol smell sometimes, I have checked for any leaks on the motor, all doors and seals, but no sign of anything. Is this a common fault?

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
First, is the smell you can detect of unburnt fuel? or is it of exhaust gas emissions (burnt fuel)?

Second thing that I'd inspect is the fuel pump service hole.
Lift up the bottoms of the rear seats and inspect the fuel tank pump inspection hole.

if need be, reseal the cover into the cabin with a light smearing of marine silicone.

When i mean light, i mean light! or you'll be in some strife if the fuel pump dies.

Third (and i had this problem), the fuel filler neck overflow tank return tube was blocked. This eventually fixed itself after i filled the tank up a few times. hehe

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
how do you check the filler return tube bit? i have this problem too sometimes, and kind of got it located to the fuel filling section of the car.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
Same here but I put it down to my recent fuel problem, the car reeks of fresh petrol when its been locked up for a period of time..perhaps those Ni$$an people haven't put something back properly or its one of those "Ni$$an" things...like the vibrating gear shifter and the rattly parcel shelf and the annoying speedo gauge casing vibe

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
i kind of found out what mine was, i either have a block or split in my fuel return or breather pipe. as when i have over 3/4 tank of fuel in it can spill down the sides of the fuel tank as i have seen it drip down and the tank is costed in petrol. so least i have seen that it does infact leak and where it is. but i havent paid someone to fix it. i will just never fill to more than 3/4 tank of petrol.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Argh. Yes I get it too.

Especially when I tilt the sunroof open, which no doubt creates a vacuum in the car when I'm moving.

Going to have a play with my tube of Marine Silicone tomorrow.

It *might* have something to do with the lower boot vents which are hidden behind the bumpers too, considering their location in regards to the fuel tank.

CMF_vincent

» CMF Member
Hi Guys, I had the same problem with the petrol smell. It ended up being a crack in the fuel tank which i now have repaired.

Attachments

• 14127.jpg
    14127.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 27

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
I had the same problem with mine above 3/4 full going around a corner. I pulled the tank out & found a plastic box on top of the tank on the passenger side of it. It had split & cracked so I grabbed some super glue & filler powder & sealed it up, been good as gold for over six months now

cisco

» CMF Member
Damn. I get the odd petrol smell too.

MUST check out this mystery fuel box with a crack in it or whatever it is. Thanks.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
When i picked up my micra it had that fuel smell aswell,i drove for afew weeks just putting a couple of bucks in the tank,and when i finally got around to filling it up i got home and noticed a leak.

A week or so later i had the car booking in for a service/check to make sure everything was ok and told the mechanic about the fuel leak,when i returned to pick up the car he told me he could not understand why the micras had so many pipes/filters or something like that,and that even the local 6s and 8s don't have or need setups like the micra has.

Back