Annoying Rattle & Petrol Smell.

My G/F's K11 1.0 has developed an annoying rattle. Having a search of the forum I found this and it sounds exactly the same http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=18288

I jacked the car up and had a look, its the piece of exhaust coming from the manifold into the square box. The is where the rattle is. It sounds like there is a stray nut in the heat shield. Can anyone shed any light?

I have been offered a 12m old exhaust for a tenner. How hard is it to fit a new one?

Also When i was under the car I could smell petrol around the engine bay. The is no visible leaks and the car is running fine, any ideas?

Been doing a bit of research, and I have found that the smell of petrol may be a blocked breather pipe.

Does anyone know where this is situated on the car?

Also with regards to the exhaust, it is still the original on the car. How much should I look as paying for a new standard zaust?

Theres two pipes, that allow the tank to breath...one is attached to the filler pipe, but is more to aid in reducing back pressure when filling up.

The other is the third metal pipe of the fuel system, it starts on top of the fuel tank drops down and runs the length of the car (alongside the feed and return lines) and is attached via a rubber hose to the carbon canister (big black cylinder) in the engine bay...i think all you can do is make sure all rubber pipes arent bend over causing a restriction, failing that maybe your carbon canister is on its way out?

failing that it could also be worth double checking the petrol tank access point (under the rear seats -- underneath the triangular access door) for tightness, incase its become loose over the years.

Petrol

I sometimes smell petrol, when I went to fill up yesterday as tank very low, when I un-did my fuel cap a rush of air went into the tank is that normal?fwn

I sometimes smell petrol, when I went to fill up yesterday as tank very low, when I un-did my fuel cap a rush of air went into the tank is that normal?fwn

Yeah. I think it's pressurised which is released when you take the cap off

Petrol Smell...
Do you have a jerry can? If its falled over or leaked it'll stink for about a week! Just leave it :)

Rattle: I think you got it sorted, but may I ask anyones idea on a rattle I get? I seems to be comin from the tailgate.. But Im not sure.. I could try and get a video........

Thanks

Back