Overheating Problem

When the car is Idle the temperature gauge goes up very high, touching the red. I have checked the connectors under bonnet near the rad, and everything is fine.

What else could be wrong?

Does the fan kick in?
It might be worth checking the actual temperature with a numerical gauge as it could just be a gremlin.
Changing the thermostat may also change it.

Well I had this problem with my rover - turned out it was a faulty thermostat. Having said that, I know for a fact that 90% of the time the problem is that your head gasket has gone :( Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

No the fan doesent kick in. I've checked the fuses and the connectors. I need to check the relays. It started raining earlier so that put a stop to my investigation.

You could always hard wire a switch to the fan in and see if that solves it, it isn't a proper fix really though. Not sure how the fan turns on, could just be a faulty sender for that

if the fan's not coming on then it'll probably be the thermostat. it'll be siezed shut, not letting the water around the rad to cool down. not 100percent though.

Hi,

Thanks for your replys guys.

I've found out that the problem was a faulty relay under the bonnet. Just brought a new one from Halfords and glued it to the original casing (makes sense when you have it in your hands). And walah!!, My fan now works :)

Sky

Back