MPG 42.8?

Just had a look on a web site that reckons a 1.6 micra 07 should be getting 42.8MPG I am getting 36/7MPG. I am a fairly laid back driver ie i don't rag the t#ts off it. wondering if any one else has had the same problem? and how they improved there MPG. cheers

Ummmmm not sure if this'll help...
....My K9K (dci 82) engine is supposed to get 62 MPG....

I regularly get it upto 72 MPG....sorry :oops:

used to average 65 with commuting to my old job (4.5 miles away)
mixture of mainly 30 limit residential and at least 4 junctions that must be stopped at completely plus one fairly long 40mph road.
lots of stopping and starting and accelerating away from traffic lights/roundabouts etc...

...but now drive at a steady pace of 40MPH, in 5th gear, for at least three times as long as I was before to my new/current job (10.5 miles away)
I now only have 3 sections of road on my trip that are 30mph zones
....one of which is over a mile long with no sudden twists or junctions to turn at or need to slow or drop down in gear.

I use the engine to slow me before getting to a junction instead of braking, just easing off and coasting between gear changes.
I keep a healthy distance between myself and the car in front, so even if they suddenly brake I only need to lift off to smoothly slow behind them
(unless of course they stop completely then I get with the brakes :p)

You may simply be suffering (MPG wise) due to the kind of roads you have to drive on, stop/start, twist/turn, traffic/ques, speed limit variations junctions/roundabouts/traffic lights/crossings etc...

I've also found that if I drove to/from work on the Motorway my MPG goes down to 58
...purely because the Motorway trip isn't long enough to establish cruise...if that makes sense ;)

Edit:....parkers rekons my car is longer than yours? o_O
I thought the sport and SR/Tekna/160/Activ all had the same bumpers? :O

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/nissan/micra/hatchback-2003/31701/
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/nissan/micra/hatchback-2003/31699/

Edit 2: ....and another thing... check you're tyres are running at the optimal pressures ;)

And colder season requires more fuel to get the engine and cabin upto temp and longer use of electrical lights.

I should of got a dci:) All my tyre pressure is spot on, I was thinking of getting the engine cleaned wondering how much of a improvement it would make? Was looking at getting it Terraclean but at £108 thats like just under 3 tanks of fuel would it be worth getting it done?

Don't bother with an engine cleaning. Your car is too new to be that gunked up.

Instead, if you haven't, give it a tune up! It's amazing how much simple things can help.
When was the last time you replaced/checked:
-Sparkplugs
-Air filter
-Oil+filter
-Tire pressure (overinflate for extra mpg at the cost of extra tire wear)
-Removed unnecessary weight from the car
-Get a wheel alignment if tires are worn unevenly. Improves mpg if it was off.
-Check if brakes are catching

And the thing that matters most, your legwork. Enginebrake like a madman, and keep distance :)

Back