MICRA K11 FWD R1 160BHP 12,000RPM 650KGS?

Hi everyone, I may get told off as for not introducing myself in the right forum.... but here goes.

I'm Tim 21 from west yorkshire, i currently have a rwd r1 micra (yamaha yzf-r1 bike engine 4xv). I built the micra up in around 3 months in spare time after work etc. But there are a few bits I'm not happy with main one is i cannot really insure it for road use. Heres a few pics of the old rwd micra on mig web.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/projects-restorations/492530-r1-4xv-rwd-micra-k11-2.html#post4642487

I have just bought molly on Saturday for the fwd project using my old r1 4xv engine. Its going to be multipoint caged, front wheel drive, sparco fiberglass buckets, fully stripped, lowered a fair on spax bit current one is around 3", possibly polycarbonate windows again and eventually hopefully i'll be making fibreglass bumpers, bonnet, boot and hopefully doors (i know the doors wont be easy by any means).

If anyone can tell me how to add pictures would appreciate it or do i have to use photo bucket or something to link them in?

Also if anyone is making or knows where to get low rear springs 60mm?

Looks good, I bet it must be such fun to drive :p
Matt Humphris does 60mm springs, as well as 50 and 80s. > http://www.humphrisoxford.co.uk/motorsport/rallyparts.pdf

Cheers have been on their website before will measure up for what I want and order tues. will also be on 14" wheels not sure wether to go with steelys or something lighter. 14s to clear the pulsar gtir calipers and discs :).

Currently stripping the rwd one shouldn't be far off fully stripped by the end of today and off to manchester to pick up the spax. Should be starting on Molly at the weekend.

Anyone know how to upload photos directly onto here of have I got to use an external photo site?

Welcome matey. I use MIG quite a bit as im into my Vauxhalls.

Anyway.... wasnt this micra on ebay last week?

Hi, cheers yes it was but decided not to sell and do a fwd micra there was a few bits I wasn't happy with and I couldn't really insure it legally. So it's going in the front. Was going to be A 1.8vvc k series but decided against that r1 sound from a micra is much better :) just the engine to come out o old one now.

Time for some pics,
molly on her first day

6914dcca.jpg

nearly fully stripped in an hour or so

ca2f0255.jpg

panhard rod made using old rods bush and rose joint. Used something I learnt at school (i did come in handy after all...) worked out with 80mm drop the length of the panhard should go from 815 I think it was to 800mm. Will be laser aligned when done.

b9caff78.jpg

5b91c113.jpg

428be211.jpg

did cut the bolt down and spray it up.

How to fit corsa b front struts without changing top mounts. elongate the actuall strut to upright holes. Mark where strut new top mount bolts go to as shown. I welded on some washers just mainly to cover up old holes and put a bit of strength back in.

d16b864b.jpg

06b2e49d.jpg

818bfcd5.jpg

3089d775.jpg

front only lowered here, on highest setting on corsa b coilovers. front will be set to match 80mm rear lowering.

brake upgrade to gtir calipers and discs. to confirm what most people say. need a spigot ring to fit disk to hub keep it central. 1mm spacer for caliper. And will fit under standard micra 14" steel wheels. still to paint and refurb calipers

456d67d5.jpg

above were test fitting on old micra hence avo shocks
37d24354.jpg

beae8fe9.jpg

Too daft for a micra? think im going to go with something a bit more standard. same route as original.

rear springs to stick in now sat on cut rears just to check sizes etc.
later to come fitting a rear arb when it hasn't already got one, same with front but mounts are already there.
fitting custom cages cage/gussets
buckets/harnesses
engine in all plumbing rad batt, gear cable exhaust.
speedo to wire in.
paint various underbody bits, waxoyl.
maybe strut braces

also a few weights of different bits just out of interest. Doors a bloomin heavy.

doors each 26.4kg
Bonnet 13.7
Boot 16.1
dash 18.1
sound deadning carpets 6.6
std 1l calipers 3.6
gtir calipers 4.8
old discs 6.4 pair
gtir discs 11.8
rear 1.4 glass each 1.9
persepx 3mm .6

Like the thread Tim! Looking good :)
What size spigot rings are needed for the disks?
Got some coming and if i can get the bits together before they arrive will make it all much easier :p

Like the thread Tim! Looking good :)
What size spigot rings are needed for the disks?
Got some coming and if i can get the bits together before they arrive will make it all much easier :p

micra centerbore is 59.1mm and pulsar gtir disk centerbore is 61mm acording to the net. I heared you use 1mm rings so i made some from sheet metal. Worked a treat might check with a DTI just to check there running true up and down. Also you need a 1mm spacing between caliper and upright, going to make these today and refurb the calipers and paint.

Got some more pics to upload and today and tommorow doing bits so will upload sunday,

cheers tim
ahhh thats what they meant by a 1mm washer? I thought they meant on the attaching bolts and such, right will get onto that as well then, also, the retaining clips for the pads, are they pretty universal? the ones on the calipers i got off ebay are a bit rusty, and one looks out of shape so I'm looking at replacing them too before fitting :D

cheers tim
ahhh thats what they meant by a 1mm washer? I thought they meant on the attaching bolts and such, right will get onto that as well then, also, the retaining clips for the pads, are they pretty universal? the ones on the calipers i got off ebay are a bit rusty, and one looks out of shape so I'm looking at replacing them too before fitting :D

No probs. yes 1mm between caliper and upright to bring the caliper out 1mm to centralise it on the disc.
I also need the retaining clips or at least one. If I find some I'll let you know or if you do I you can let me know. :)

no decent pictures unfortunately. Will get some more on in next few days.

got both front calipers rebuilt waiting on shims/anti rattle plate thingys. Thanks to skinner_87.

7f5824d4.jpg

cd9c01a2.jpg

Primered ready for paint, 1mm spacers made and fitted.
7f30b422.jpg

redid rear brakes with ebc pads, going to try it as it is with just drums on the rear for now.
088b15c8.jpg

7ff4dbde.jpg

cutting end can to fit between rear bumper and beam

973415d0.jpg

engine in old cradle with dodgy rigging.

befece33.jpg

roughly where she will be sitting.
1a3c588d.jpg

will put pics up of finished bits sometime in the week.

Well heres a few more pics of making the engine/diff cradle. Steady progress as it all needs making and lining engine to sprocket etc.Mock up of where i'd of liked them to sit.
1a3c588d.jpg

Few more nights should see engine in by itself.

290fd27c.jpg

40ae94ff.jpg

45beb572.jpg

b89290ee.jpg

Exhaust may need moding a bit and also front bumper will see a radiator sat right upfront due to lack of space. Good excuse to get on with the fiberglass bonnet and bumper quicker than id of thought.

Cheers, got some ordered. Link didn't work properly but i found them from it. :) Cheers was on my list to ring Nissan up but saw your post earlier. Thanks

Ordered a while ago and just been refunded as no stock in germany. :( looks like Nissan see if they can help without a car reg number.... doubt it.

Got the engine/diff cradle pretty much made up just a few odd bits to fully weld and a few more bars to add.

Picture046_zpsaf15e294.jpg

Picture047_zpsaf217333.jpg

Picture048_zpsd92a5d69.jpg

Picture049_zps3b53914b.jpg

Picture052_zps11fe08df.jpg

Picture053_zpseda81be8.jpg

Picture055_zps81619638.jpg

Picture056_zps28e0e3d0.jpg

Picture057_zpsa96c5fee.jpg

Fiberglass bumper will be made once the car is finished also bonnet scoop will be made then i think a mould took of that to do a bonnet aswell as the air filter will poke through a little. Spacers to order and mock driveshafts to make mock ups soon. Also exhaust to make and gearcable to fit.

Nice too see you here finally, i'm the guy that bought you're old engine and axle :D
The 99p rear beam lol? Cheers, nice to get it nearly finished will get some pics up soon. Just waitin on driveshafts comming back also need to sort out a fuel gauge, and then the cage and some bumpers. Mot next week :)

Back