Lower Ball Joint Install

Hi chaps I hope you can help cause I'm all out of ideas! Sorry my first post is for help :)

I am actually doing this on the girlfriends Micra at the moment, now I managed to get the old one out with brute force and a few blows of the hammer but getting the new one in is much harder, it's in most of the way but the last 3-4mm just wont go :(

I asked at the local motor factors who are usually quite good but couldn't help as they only sell the seperators.

Can some one tell me how to get this new one in, I imagine there is some kind of tool but no one seems to know what or where to buy it.

The second problem is that the steering control arm ball joint just spins when I am trying to replace the nut, is it ####ed?

Any help much appreciated :)

It should slot in quite easily, try putting a jack under the suspension arm to stop it pushing down and hitting the hub down with a hammer.

To stop it spinning you have to make sure you have the right nut. The threads are not a normal 1.5 thread but 1.25 - usually. They need to spin on and its the split pin or a nyloc nut that stops it coming undone, not the "bite" of the thread like most bolts and nuts.

Check the thread is clear of any debris. Check the nut is the correct nut that was on, or came with the balljoint.

Finally, place a trolley jack under the ball joint and jack it up to take some of the weight. That should also stop it spinning.

Thanks chaps will give your suggestions a go later on, will let you know how I get on.

Finally got it in, brute force was the way!

Has any one got the service manual for a K11, would really come in useful.

If not how tight does the hub nut have to be.

Thanks for the tips as to how to stop it spinning, worked fine this time :)

Cheers

Back