K12 Towing eye ??

06 Reg Micra 1.4 Auto

No front towing eye in boot kit. BUT where to put it if I had one?? No removable cover in front, as per handbook.

How does this work, then?

Cliff

ummmm.... :confused:
well ...you can get a tow hook thing from the boot of a K12 at the scrap yard. probably...or about £30 -£40 from Nissan <_< or £5-£10 off ebay...

no where to put one though?....is it the original bumper?...has it been smoothed?...has a towing eye been placed elsewhere?

then again...I believe an auto shouldn't be towed...at least not with the front wheels on the ground...maybe it never had one?...

I'm gonna have to do a bit of searching for this matter, me thinks :p

ETA: I've looked at 12 automatic K12's...54 reg to 58 reg...all have that little square (the bit you remove to screw the eye into) ...could you upload an image and post it here, please?...

micra-bumper.jpg

Tried to but cannot embed, apparently:rolleyes:

This should work ....

The car is absolutely virgin! 22K miles, original tires, only let out for an MOT for the last 3 years. Everything pristine ...

Okay....?....ummmm
it should be on that bumpstrip LOL
...do you think it has possibly been filled/smoothed/painted?...definitely not on the other side or something daft?...

gosh that's....odd ... :oops: should be right here...
micratoweyeloc_zpsca376522.png

...if you tap along the bumpstrip...does it change sound here?...sound more hollow?...
I wonder if they changed that bumpstrip?...for one from the other side?...or are they actually too different a shape?...

so strange...I can't think why it wouldn't be there otherwise o_O

...since seeing this, I have seen lots of photos of K12s on forums (apparently) without the square cover.
Really?...I can't find a single one, other than yours...here :p
....unless they have after market body kits on 'em ^_^
if you have a Nissan dealer near you pop in and ask them...or phone them up if they're not that close
...I don't think they can charge you for just asking ;)

ETA: your pic's not working at the moment...you can see it here on mine ;)

Blast it! Can't get Picassa to upload and provide URL to shareable copy, not my local disk. I did it earlier :rolleyes:

My front end is different to yours. If I can get it to load, it shows a removable panel in that strip, just about where your red box indicated,

Tomorrow .....

exactly...like this one :p

...even the same colour as yours ;)

...you'll have to upload your pictures to photobucket, tinypic or imageshack etc... (hosting site)
as only full (paid) members can upload direct from their HDD's onto the forums server ;)
I use photobucket ^_^

I was trying to do an upload from a fresh install of Picassa. Too steep a learning curve not helped by it wizzing off and cataloging 150Gb of hard drive!

Anyway, your picture shows it just as I was trying to do. This morning I can see there has been a bit of polyfilling going on, at some stage! That right-hand bump strip is distinctly wavy compared to the left hand one. I am guessing that it has had a shunt a some time and maybe an upsidedown left hand strip has been inserted instead.

How is that strip attached?

I am only worried in that it is the wife's runabout and I don't want her stranded and untowable in an emergency. I will get underneath when it stops raining and have a feel around.

Thanks for your help so far, Jen319.

No problem, I like to try and help if I can ;)
I was gonna say it looks a bit wavy...like it doesn't quite belong... :oops:

these kind of bumpstrips are usually glued on... I know most would remove them by pulling really hard LOL
warm it up with a hairdryer to soften the glues bond to the body work should make it easier to take off
I know when I've taken badges of a scrap car that using a bit of thin wire (like a cheese cutter) to saw it off...can help speed things up...up to you of course

it may be an idea to get a replacement bumpstrip to go back there first...unless you wanna try and cut a hole in the one you've got...and somehow make a plug/get a grommit for the hole?..

or you could take it off...find the hole and just stick it back...for now till a better solution arrives ;)

I know what you mean about "just in case" I'm very much the same

I just did what I should have done at the start - search for Micra K12 Bumper on ebay!

Dozens of photos of s/h and new. Obvious how it fits together. Still not sure how my one was bodged, but I think I'll leave it for now.

Cliff

Back