K12 Cooling system problem

My 2003 K12 Micra SE has developed a problem and I would like advice if possible, this just started out of the blue a week ago but have not driven again until today, so here goes. After driving about 6 miles the cooling system light came on, I pulled over and realised the engine was hot and the only thing I could see wrong was the expansion bottle was minus the filler cap so thinking this could be the problem I refilled the Expansion tank (sealing with gaffer tape to get me home) and radiator back to full(lost about half a litre) and made it back home with the sensor light coming back on again.My question is : I don"t know if I secured the Expansion bottle cap on tightly when I was last refillng a while back but I think I would have, could this have blown off with pressure? (it was nowhere to be seen)Once it is up to temp the top hose gets really hot : the bottom hose is hardly even lukewarm : the radiator is hardly even lukewarm also : the radiator starts making noises like its boiling and a gurgle or 2 from the expansion tank (which is still gaffer taped).There is no Mayo symptoms oilwise showing or contamination in the coolant that I can see. Appreciate any advice Thanks.

Hmm bubbling/boiling... Mine (k11) used to make a gurgling noise but only when I switched it off...
I'd suggest checking the thermostat is opening at the correct temperature and closing at the right time, with you saying the top hose is very hot and bottom not so hot this could stop coolant circulating correctly...
Whilst doing all this use a hose to reverse feed the radiator and system, there could be a blockage somewhere hope this helps :)

a hot tophose and cooler bottom hose is a good sign michael, and the level will usually drop after topping it up.
you just need to see if the level stabilises now that the system is full

a hot tophose and cooler bottom hose is a good sign michael, and the level will usually drop after topping it up.
you just need to see if the level stabilises now that the system is full
Hi Guys, Thanks for your quick reply,I filled radiator and expansion tank with more coolant today drove six miles and same again red light on and boiling and gurgling, runs fine until red light.I am going to check for air lock in the system, fill it + run it with heating full on with cap off until any air goes, if this does not work I will take the stat out and run it to see if there"s any difference, a couple of questions : 1 The stat opens when temperature goes to normal running temp ok. so when does it close and can it malfunction and close when its not meant to?2 Is there a set way to get in to the stat for removal as it seems to be quite awkward to get at where it is ?3 can you run it without a stat for a couple of days to make sure the problem goes ?4 Is the expansion tank meant to have pressure and if so how much ?Thanks for all your advice on this.

the stat will open and close to regulate the engine temp michael (ie, open up in traffic, and close a bit when cruising)
and there is,nt much mechanical knowledge on here for k12,s tbh, is it the CR engine ?

Thanks Frank, Could’nt say if its a CR engine but looking this up I would say it is. So the stat does’nt just open and close once during a journey it fluctuates according to load temperature ? is there a set way to take the stat out ? as I don’t have a workshop manual (i.e. remove rocker cover or air filter as these seem to be in the way)also do you know if there should be pressure in the expansion tank once up to temp.Cheers.

the 1.0/1.2/1.4 are CR engines michael, there might be some info on GUY,s k12 webpage ? (the pdf workshop manual is on there too)

Hi Frank, Yes it’s a CR could’nt see a pdf re GUY though.Waiting on the rain going of to check for airlock.Will post update when I do, any more suggestions/advice would be welcome from you good people

UPDATE 1 : So I Drained the system and fitted a new thermostat filled up new coolant and went for a runred light comes on again methinks wot the ! so I a am now going to take the water pump out to have a look at it, hopefully I will see something up with it or then it will be the turn of the radiator to be checked out.Any comments will be appreciated on this.Thanks.

Last edited:
UPDATE 2 : Checked water pump pressure, looks fine, took front grill off and checked front of radiator (it’s too easy just to check the fan side but this is not where stones or suchlike can pierce the radiator) on inspection the right hand side there was a crystalized area which when I put my hand on this area (do NOT do this on the fan side for obvious reasons) it was stone cold whilst the left hand of the radiator was toasting.So it’s a visit to the scrappy for me tomorrow for a radiator,expansion bottle and a spare radiator cap.I will update on success or failure. *Interesting link which helped me to read into things a bit more.

UPDATE 2 : Checked water pump pressure, looks fine, took front grill off and checked front of radiator (it’s too easy just to check the fan side but this is not where stones or suchlike can pierce the radiator) on inspection the right hand side there was a crystalized area which when I put my hand on this area (do NOT do this on the fan side for obvious reasons) it was stone cold whilst the left hand of the radiator was toasting.So it’s a visit to the scrappy for me tomorrow for a radiator,expansion bottle and a spare radiator cap.I will update on success or failure. *Interesting link which helped me to read into things a bit more.
UPDATE : Got a new radiator and cap for £20 on Ebay, fitted it and vroom vroom going oh so cool again. Thanks to all !

Back