K11 audio system

Ok bear with me for what might sound like dumb questions.

I want to change the standard factory front door speakers in my K11 (Y-reg) Micra. I am aware that the dimensions should be 6.5" and 54mm depth.

First question: If I buy speakers that are exactly 6.5" and 54mm depth, would I have to make any adjustments to the door panel (i.e. cutting or filling?)

Second question: If I buy speakers slightly below OR above 54mm depth (eg: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-SPEAKERS-BLAUPUNKT-IC122-165MM-2x105W-MAX-POWER_W0QQitemZ300225950996)
would it make any difference?

Third question: If I buy speakers and fit them to my existing standard factory head unit with the existing wiring, would it sound good? Understand that I'm not an enthusiast - especially compared to some of you guys - I just want to listen to some tunes now and again with decent quality and volume.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

You shouldnt have to make any modifcations other than possibly drilling some new holes in the metal door skin to securely fit your new speakers.

and to answer your second question, nope, buying something under 54mm in depth is fine! Above might mean you have to modify the door card slightly, but those Blaupunkts on Ebay should fit fine, you can always make a thin ~5mm mdf baffle to mount them on if they are slightly too deep :).

Third question is difficult to answer. The standard speakers are quite well matched to the standard headunit (and are in fact made by Blaupunkt) so you may not notice any difference at all...

I replaced mine this morning, and found the old ones were nearer 7". The Alpines I bought were 6.5", and all I needed to do was drill 3 new holes per speaker and it fits fine. Easy to do.

Tom

Ok, so the fitting should be no problem.

With regards to the speakers not making much difference, could you tell me what the specifications are for the standard factory speakers which are in my Micra at the moment?

I wouldn't want to buy new speakers, fit them, and find out they sound just as crap as the old ones!

Thanks again lads for your replies.

as with most cars, i beleive for just a few simple tunes now and again 6x9s and the standard door speakers combo are the best combination for value for money and less work rather than getting new door speakers ehich at times can be very costly for some descent ones.

i'm selling some JBL 6x9s already attached to the parcel shelf.

the sound is excellent and the basslines are awesome even using the standard front door speakers with it.

i'm stripping my car of the excess weight, hence the reason for sale.

if you are interested, then let me know.

Ok, so the fitting should be no problem.

With regards to the speakers not making much difference, could you tell me what the specifications are for the standard factory speakers which are in my Micra at the moment?

I wouldn't want to buy new speakers, fit them, and find out they sound just as crap as the old ones!

Thanks again lads for your replies.

Unfortunately there are no specs available for the standard speakers....so that is a difficult question to answer. Those ones you posted are very cheap though, so maybe worth a shot! :)

as with most cars, i beleive for just a few simple tunes now and again 6x9s and the standard door speakers combo are the best combination for value for money and less work rather than getting new door speakers ehich at times can be very costly for some descent ones.

i disagree, you don't want most of the sound coming from behind you, you don't go to a concert and stand with your back to the stage do you?

i disagree, you don't want most of the sound coming from behind you, you don't go to a concert and stand with your back to the stage do you?

well the 6x9s made a huge difference in my parcel shelf and made the standard nissan speakers sound good also as a complete unit.

'surround sound' - dont forget concerts normally have speakers at the back of the arena also for this effect.

naturally, good speakers both at teh front and back is the most ideal set up.

johnsams I have a friend who has done the same thing in his toyota yaris. While it does sound excellent sitting at the back, from the front it sounded crap enough for him to disconnect the front speakers until he can buy a pair of good ones. I would rather have good speakers in the front than the back, because I (the driver) come first lol. And wouldn't fitting be easier in the front, with wiring already there - whereas for a parcel shelf you have to remove the floor carpet?

nO_JeZeBeL I think I emailed you about this, you had an item on ebay? My username is skiddy_mark. Small world lol.

Retepetsir I agree they are cheap, they almost seem ridiculously cheap. Which is why I am wondering how much of a difference they would make compared to standard factory speakers. Maybe I'll have to increase my budget a bit.

And wouldn't fitting be easier in the front, with wiring already there - whereas for a parcel shelf you have to remove the floor carpet?

the wiring for rear speakers is already there behind the right habd side of the boot trim. you can take the feed from here.

Fair enough, I had no idea the wiring was already there. But I still would prefer replacement speakers in the front - for me it's one or the other, and I'd enjoy the sound more if it was coming from the front.

One more question - if I bought decent front speakers such as: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-Xpold-16-5-17cm-3-way-180watt-speakers-6-5_W0QQitemZ180246046112

Would my standard factory head unit be able to output enough power to take advantage of these speakers? If someone could give me a rough estimate as to what the output of the head unit is, that would be great.

It would still be able to drive them, but at higher volumes you may get some distortion as you drive the amp into clip. The standard headunit probably only has an output of around 5-8wrms.

Anyway, try it and see :)

:confused:
the wiring for rear speakers is already there behind the right habd side of the boot trim. you can take the feed from here.

Does anyone know the code/part number for the connector block nissan have used for the rear speakers ?

Don't really want to cut this off, would rather get the other 'male' connector and join them up together this way.

TIA.

I found out that If yo rip out the Blaupunkt speakers out the door, put in some JL 7" and upgrade the wiring to the head unit, drop 2 subs in the boot and some MOS 6x9's in the parcel shelf, any tune will sound amazing. My basslines rattle the whole car, sounds are heard from miles away and everyone looks when i drive by. Only cost me £100 for the lot, don't feel pressured into buying new speakers. The most expensive thing was the headunit, which is Ripspeed DVD733B :3 going to hook the Ps4 up to it next month, pics to come.

I found out that If yo rip out the Blaupunkt speakers out the door, put in some JL 7" and upgrade the wiring to the head unit, drop 2 subs in the boot and some MOS 6x9's in the parcel shelf, any tune will sound amazing. My basslines rattle the whole car, sounds are heard from miles away and everyone looks when i drive by. Only cost me £100 for the lot, don't feel pressured into buying new speakers. The most expensive thing was the headunit, which is Ripspeed DVD733B :3 going to hook the Ps4 up to it next month, pics to come.
Thread is over 5 years old mate...:rolleyes:

Back