K11 1.0L 1998 gets flooded too often

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
The engine gets flooded and does not start.
Have to keep a spare set of plugs in the car.
Just replace the plugs and starts straight away.

What is the best thing to do.
I suspect the injectors are worn.

Is there a simple resistance test
or simple leak test like they do for diesel injectors?

Has anybody had this problem?
What do people think?
What are the first few things to check out?

TIA

Danny

Have to think twice about moving the car in and out of the drive.
It will not start next morning if its done a short journey.
For this reason, short journeys are a big NO.
Always have to try and fully warm up engine before switching off.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
they,re prone to flooding danny i think they are borderline to it from new (hence the retrofit resistor loom that was availiable from nissan) and when the injectors have done some milage it probably just gets worse
you could try a 2nd coolant sensor running in parallel maybe ?

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"they,re prone to flooding danny i think they are borderlike to it from new (hence the retrofit resistor loom that was availiable from nissan) and when the injectors have done some milage it probably just gets worse<BR>you could try a 2nd coolant sensor running in parallel maybe ?

Hi Frank,

Where can I get the nissan loom? How to run the 2nd coolant sensor? Any pics or wiring diagram??

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
Thanks Frank.
So the suspects so far:
1) Engine Temp Sensor - Test or replace (not the gauge temp sensor)
Should I really get the retro fit resistor loom?

2) Fuel Injector - Test or replace

3) Distributor Rotor and Cap - Clean or replace

Any other ideas - would also be welcome!

Danny

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
Is there an online parts number catalogue for Micra 1.0L 1998?
I may replace soem of the following. I need part no's for:

1) Engine temp sensor - Not the gauge temp sender
2) Fuel injector
3) Distributor rotor
4) Distributor cap

TIA

Danny

CMF_micrafun2

» CMF Member
Tks Frank

I was hoping there would be more info stateside. There's more info on other cars. Part numbers and technical drawings are more a pre requisite on US sites. Just wondered if others have come across Micra/March online parts and drawings.

Danny

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Radiolite22 WROTE:

"Hi Frank,

Can't seemed to find the harness on sale anymore...

Any idea how to DIY the resistor onto the harness? Or anyone has done it before??

i doubt if nissan still stock them keith and i guess you just wire a 15k ohm resistor in series

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"Radiolite22 WROTE:<BR><BR>"Hi Frank,<BR><BR><BR><BR>Can't seemed to find the harness on sale anymore...<BR><BR><BR><BR>Any idea how to DIY the resistor onto the harness? Or anyone has done it before??"</DIV><BR><BR>i doubt if nissan still stock them keith and i guess you just wire a 15k ohm resistor in series

Haha I'm a noob when it comes to wiring or electricals :p

Will need some help here as in how to wire the resistor up... to which wire..etc...

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Radiolite22 WROTE:

Will need some help here as in how to wire the resistor up... to which wire..etc...

im not sure tbh mate, my 2nd coolant sensor is wired in constantly now (in parallel) the ecu now has 2 red wires and 2 black wires going to it (ie, i joined the 2nd red wire to the original red wire, etc)
but the nissan harness resistor may have been wired in series, you,re best to ask a sparkie :)

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"Radiolite22 WROTE:<BR><BR>Will need some help here as in how to wire the resistor up... to which wire..etc..."</DIV><BR><BR>im not sure tbh mate, my 2nd coolant sensor is wired in constantly now (in parallel) the ecu now has 2 red wires and 2 black wires going to it (ie, i joined the 2nd red wire to the original red wire, etc)<BR>but the nissan harness resistor may have been wired in series, you,re best to ask a sparkie :)

Able to snap a pic of how you did it? May try it out if I can make out what you mean ;)

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Radiolite22 WROTE:

Able to snap a pic of how you did it? May try it out if I can make out what you mean ;)

its re-covered in black tape dude (and there,s the "cutout" wiring on mine to disable the 1st sensor too)
i simply cut 100mm of loom with the plug and sensor from another car, and then joined the 2 red wires and the 2 black wires

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"Radiolite22 WROTE:<BR><BR>Able to snap a pic of how you did it? May try it out if I can make out what you mean ;)"</DIV><BR><BR>its re-covered in black tape dude (and there,s the "cutout" wiring on mine to disable the 1st sensor too)<BR>i simply cut 100mm of loom with the plug and sensor from another car, and then joined the 2 red wires and the 2 black wires

So are you saying that you actually drilled another hole onto the engine block to fit in the 2nd sensor, then bind both wirings into one that leads to the ECU??

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
Radiolite22 WROTE:

So are you saying that you actually drilled another hole onto the engine block to fit in the 2nd sensor, then bind both wirings into one that leads to the ECU??

lol, the 2nd sensor ghetto mod is explained about 1/2 way down here https://micra.org.uk/cmf/message/63591
but mine will go into closed loop in 1/2 the time with the 2 sensors wire together (ie, 1/2 as much coldstart enrichment)
which is probably pretty much what the loom from nissan did

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
had a look at this out of interest as my cars have shown this tendency to flood if I just move them around on the drive .. and a lot of cranking to get then going .
The coolant sensor has 2 wires going to it , so Nissan have retrofitted a 15kohm ( 15,000 ohms ) resistor across the terminals of the sensor using a loom , this will have the effect of lowering the overall resistance that the ecu can read for a given engine temp , This will make the engine appear "hotter" than it is so the "choke" wont kick in and flood the engine ..

I would buy a decent size 1/4 watt 15Kohm resistor and try it out by splicing it into the sensor wires . Gonna try it myself ..

I think the ghetto mod discussed above is to extract some more power from the engine by running it richer at full throttle .. by kidding the ecu that the engine is cold ..

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
Mike R WROTE:

"had a look at this out of interest as my cars have shown this tendency to flood if I just move them around on the drive .. and a lot of cranking to get then going .

The coolant sensor has 2 wires going to it , so Nissan have retrofitted a 15kohm ( 15,000 ohms ) resistor across the terminals of the sensor using a loom , this will have the effect of lowering the overall resistance that the ecu can read for a given engine temp , This will make the engine appear "hotter" than it is so the "choke" wont kick in and flood the engine ..

I would buy a decent size 1/4 watt 15Kohm resistor and try it out by splicing it into the sensor wires . Gonna try it myself ..

I think the ghetto mod discussed above is to extract some more power from the engine by running it richer at full throttle .. by kidding the ecu that the engine is cold ..

Won't the ghetto mod be dangerous? As the actual reading of the engine temperature is not read by the ecu.

Also, won't the ecu be reading a lower temperature and thus supplying lesser fuel during full throttle? (hotter = more fuel, colder = lesser fuel).

Btw the 15kohm is to be wired to which wire on the coolant sensor?

CMF_Mike R

» CMF Member
2 wires on the sensor , wire the resistor across them , ie one leg of the resistor to each wire ... that will put the resistor in parallel with the sensor .

Back