Gearbox Issues again...

Hi everyone.

My gearbox seems to work fine at low revs below 3000ish rpm - it works perfect in all gears, no noise and easy to shift.

If however, for example, I floor it in 3rd, it becomes very 'sticky' to shift into 4th, and then sticky to shift into 5th. The same goes for all the gears, i.e flooring it in 1st means its sticky to change into 2nd, and so on.

But, like I said, it works flawlessly at low revs i.e effortless shifts.

The issue has developed almost instantly, it wasn't a gradually worsening issue.

Any ideas? Appreciate any advice greatly!

Been told by a friend it could be clutch adjustment?

Last edited:
Engine/gearbox mounts soft/damaged allowing movement against the linkage which is attached to the body at the gear lever end? Flooring the accelerator would cause the engine to move on the mounts.....

Engine/gearbox mounts soft/damaged allowing movement against the linkage which is attached to the body at the gear lever end? Flooring the accelerator would cause the engine to move on the mounts.....

Okay this could support the fact that I've just gone out to the car and with the engine off, I've just checked the amount of 'back and forth play' in the gear stick whilst in gear with the engine off, and I'm getting around an inch of play in the stick in every gear. Would you say this even more points to it being back linkage of poor mounts?

Okay this could support the fact that I've just gone out to the car and with the engine off, I've just checked the amount of 'back and forth play' in the gear stick whilst in gear with the engine off, and I'm getting around an inch of play in the stick in every gear. Would you say this even more points to it being back linkage of poor mounts?
Try grabbing the engine and see if you can rock it front to rear. The fact that it suddenly happened would suggest a sheared mount or even a fixing bolt sheared or fallen out....

Just had a brain wave!

Basically, just after I foot it in 3rd, it becomes sticky to change into 4th, but if I go into neutral at that point, it’s still sticky as i move the stick side to side. This means the problem is in the stick/shifter linkage etc. The fault cannot be in the gearbox as I experience the stickiness even in neutral.

Am I correct in making the statement that the fault can’t be in the box since the stickiness even occurs when not in gear?
It’s as if something is getting in the way of the shifter underneath the car.

Just had a brain wave!

Basically, just after I foot it in 3rd, it becomes sticky to change into 4th, but if I go into neutral at that point, it’s still sticky as i move the stick side to side. This means the problem is in the stick/shifter linkage etc. The fault cannot be in the gearbox as I experience the stickiness even in neutral.

Am I correct in making the statement that the fault can’t be in the box since the stickiness even occurs when not in gear?
It’s as if something is getting in the way of the shifter underneath the car.
Has the proximity of the gear linkage to the exhaust changed? Is there a heat shield missing? Every chance that heat has dried out lubrication or even warped plastic parts......

Has the proximity of the gear linkage to the exhaust changed? Is there a heat shield missing? Every chance that heat has dried out lubrication or even warped plastic parts......

As far as I know the heat shield is still there and the distance shouldn't have been changed.

Was supposed to get under the car and look into it today but didn't get time at all!

However, with it being lockdown, having a working car becomes much less of a necessity!

Back