Gearbox Advice

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Ok it's not that bad but i can't help feeling it could be smoother.

its a pain to get it into 2nd feels like there is two gears in one section if you know what i mean could this be due to it just being old is there a way around this like maybe changing the oil in there or something?
any ideas or prices from experience would be helpful.

cheers guys (again)

Shaun

I wouldnt worry mate, if its not jumping outa gear or making some serious noises then dont bother imo. your just looking for things to do;)

sorry, i assumed you were thinking of replacing it, you could check the oil level/change it not expensive and easy.

I wouldnt worry mate, if its not jumping outa gear or making some serious noises then dont bother imo. your just looking for things to do;)

sorry, i assumed you were thinking of replacing it, you could check the oil level/change it not expensive and easy.

no not replacing it i have had it jump out of gear but that was due to potholes as they are bad at the moment around here just wanna make it a little smoother if possible.

i have a two-step 2nd gear too, but personally i dont think it is too bad.. few months ago i had to replace CV boot at the left wheel and i accidentally ripped the transaxle with CV joint from transmission.. quite a lot of oil went out (looks like i am an expert at spilling oil)..

after few days when i finally refilled it, i found out that there was much less oil than there should be.. after refilling to max level, the 2step-ness of the 2nd gear got better.. (but not completely disappeared)..

so..check oil level, i heard that these transmissions have no big problems with running dry :D .. you check it by removing the speedo cable (secured by a M10 screw).. the large part of the plastic gear which will come out should be fully dipped in oil.. there should be a sticker with low and high level somewhere

If it's a 4-speed then it will be a dog, especially from 3rd to 2nd & 2nd to 1st. I swapped mine for a long ratio 5-speed which had done 117k but what a smooth box! I decided to dissasemble my old 4-speed and i found that the reason for it being a dog was simply one single worn spring. The spring i'm talking about has a small ball bearing on the end and is there to keep the output shaft in place. It's held in via a bolt at the back of the box near to the reverse light switch, if you feel it's nessasery you can pull it out clean it up and find a new spring or just stretch it back into shape a little. You want GL4 oil by the way, i find it to work best in my box.

Back