Future value of the Super S (in carry on from front page article)

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I thought I better come to you lot, as you're the enthusiasts.

I do realise the answer you're going to tell me, because its not your money. :p

Anyway, I have the oppertunity to purchase a 97 complianced Blue (electric blue, afaik, it is almost as light as cisco's blue in the daytime shade, but at night and in the sun it is a vibrant yet deep blue) series 2 Super S Micra.

Featuring 121,000 logbooked KM, 2 owners, all original paperwork, and every reciept for the car in the manual, 15" ROH Adrenalin alloy wheels with good rubber, King Lows on brand new Monroe GT (i think) struts all round.

All series 2 features including the tilt and slide sunroof, green faced dials, black interior trim highlights, rear seat side panel pockets (moulded), 6 spker stereo, power steering, air con, drivers airbag, ABS (which btw IS a Bosch system).

Basically the trim fit and finish of the s2 is a whole class above the s1. The plastic is higher quality, is much nicer contrasting colours and fits together very well. The seats dont have the same side bolstering, but they're more suited to a broader body and have miles better low back and bum support compared to a s1 super s.

The paintwork is in excellent condition but has a few small dings (to be expected of an 8yr old car).

he has replaced all underbonnet plastic pieces, the distributor is brand new, it has I think a 2" cat back exhaust which has an excellent note and an excellent looking tip.

THE PROBLEM: He is asking $9500 and I cant get him to budge.

If i were to pay this much (possibly $500 less depending on the rego I suppose), my question to you micra-holics is...

Is it worth it? Will I be able to get my money back (ie: if i were to sell it in a year or two - would I be able to sell it again for like $8000 ($1000 depreciation over a year is pretty good if you get 25,000km use out of the car).

Is this car really that much of a rarity I should even CONSIDER paying so much for it?

I'm so sorry for the long winded post and its probably full of errors i'm just sitting here smashing away on the keybaord. I havent been able to rest since i saw it this morning. I really want this car but I really dont think I can justify that price unless it was from a dealer. What do you think?

-Sad Tom (who's also regretting selling the pulsar)

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Okay well i'm doing the maths and its occured to me that with the calibre of s1 super s I have seen lately (average about $6500 to $7000 after onroads), it may cost around $3000 to get one up to my standards.

And then it may not even be in good condition bodywise or it could have 150,000km and partially filled in logbooks (like the first 3 services and then no more history).

I think I could be ahead about $1000 at minimum by buying this car.... Plus I'd have a piece of australian motoring history.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah its a lot. Definately got top dollar on it. Especially for the Kms its still got.

Top car though. And super rare series 2. They are definately extremely rare. S1's are to begin with, but S2s are like almost unseen in Super S model.

I think it isn't going to depreciate a lot more though, I reckon in a coupla years you could still sell it for a decent price.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Its occured to me that this guy knows exactly what I have just typed in my second post there.

And thats why he is not budging.

I know you're not meant to get back the majority of what you spend on your car - but after the ****fights and stress i had with the pulsar over the first 3 months of owning it, I'm wondering if that extra $2000 is going to make any difference in the long run.

(I was prepared to pay $8500 for this car to start with).

I'm starting to see it as $2000 less head-screws and ****-fights to worry about.

Anyone else seeing it from my perspective? Or am I following my heart not my head?

cisco

» CMF Member
I can see your logic.

Totally all depends on the other cars available.

If there are definately no other Super S's for much less that don't need any work on them, then.. it seems like you are paying for the best and to save a lot of crap - agreed.

If you could wait a month and say an immaculate series 1 became available for $7000, then you might think differently.

I haven't gone out looking at used micras for a long time, so I don't know what the condition of them is like thesedays.

But either way, you're getting a super rate series 2 super s aswell. which is a nice bonus.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
See there's my second problem.

I cant wait much more than a month. I'd have an immaculate or even a single owner series 1 in an instant.

But even then (and i'm fairly confident of it) i felt the Series 2 used better quality matierials than the series 1. Everything seemed to fit better.

Whether or not I go back to uni next year (i dont even think I should, because I've already waste 6 months and a few thousand dollars doing one uni course which was just not me. i think i need more REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE before I decide what I want to do in life. Getting a degree for something you dont want to do is a waste of time and money, about the only thing it gives you is something to fall back on later in life and it shows that you're dedicated to something and you dont give up half way.

I think I might take up my cousin's offer of an apprenticeship in Diesel Mechanic/Fitters position in Dysart, QLD. That'll be 4 years of doing something I am 99.9% certain i will enjoy.

CMF_bosito

» CMF Member
I have one question fo you, did you approach or did he advertise?

In my opinion its extremely rare but way over priced. I really like the super s but wouldn't pay those dollars for one.

If it was advertised and you didn't approach stick to your guns $8000 is plenty remember he wants to sell and like in The Castle. "tell him he's dreamen". That being said $8500 max.

Good luck.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I initially approached him.

I waited off until he has finally decided to sell.

He reckons he'll get good money for it with a trade in - which i first though yeh right..

BUt he made this evil laugh/smirk after he said it. Almost like he's got beef on a particular holden dealer he'll be buying his new Tigra from...

CMF_bosito

» CMF Member
Bluff,

I wouldn't think he would get more than $4000 for trade in so he'd be at a loss.

Don't rush unless you are sure you want to justify the $$$$$$$.

In saying that it may fetch $7000 for the next couple of years. But only from an enthusiast and you would need one to come along.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Thats fine with me. This is the sort of car I think I'll have for a very long time.

I dont think you can get bored of these cars very easily.

If you do, all you need to do is spend another $300 with whiteline. :) :p

cisco

» CMF Member
I was just reading one of my Japanese magazines this arvo called "Compact Racing".

It had this circuit race in Japan. All the latest small cars, Vitz/Echo/Yaris etc, all these new space looking hot small cars from every manufacturer. And 2 k11s in the race for old times' sake..

k11 = fastest time. Hahah. They are awesome cars.

Solid axle, no VVT - just something about them - a winning formula for a great feeling driver's car.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Mate if you are going to keep it a long time around $8k seems reasonable.
He will not get $9.5k for it which ever way he wants to sell it. Well maybe on a new $100k car
Hard call and in the long run its value is the eye of the buyer.If we all listened to our heads and sometimes not our hearts it would be a dull world.
Cars, women, food are areas where the heart means so much.
Dysart?? A long way from nowhere. A hard drinking miners town but hell in 3/4 years you would be on big bucks.
Mate I was around 35 years of age before I really found what I wanted to do and at 54 years of age took another swerve. Whatever you decide just enjoy the trip and if it does not work out move on.
A lot of people die wondering and saying "if only".
Good luck. Come over to the dark side.

cisco

» CMF Member
Some very wise words of wisdom.

There you have it.

I love White Knight's posts.

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
Tom, you know how long you have been looking for "just the right micra" to come along, and how each one you've seen has this or that wrong with it? I follow my heart where cars are concerned, I imagine myself driving that car and how does it feel...if it feels great, then go for it. Imagine not having it in your life...does that feel good too or is it slightly depressing. As far as the value goes, the Nissan dealership OWNER offered me 7 grand straight up for my car, its not for sale at present, but it shows how well they are holding their value at the moment. If you have the $$$, make him an offer, everyone expects to be brought down a bit, but consider this...he's a micra owner, and these little cars instill a passion like no other car I have owned and that includes my BMW M series, which I had to sell for financial reasons of not being able to afford 2 cars, I kept the micra and it was the most sensible decison I have ever made. The seller is most likely aware of the car's worth considering its condition and age, when you go to sell a micra you will understand what he's about. Good luck with whatever you decide :)
Micragirl

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Tom concider how long it takes just to find a Super S or even a very well kept Micra in general?

I payed just over 6k for my super s but, I need to repaint the front/rear bars, mirrors and door handles just to have a tidy car.

Also my super s and many others don't have power steering and aircon.

So to get this car with all the goods already fitted, That is in great condition AND is a series 2 i think there is only one answer..

Congrats on your new/future purchass

CMF_GTRHOLIC

» CMF Member
there is no way any dealer in the country would give him that sort of money for a trade in. they tend to give higher trade ins if they trade for something of the same manufacturer, ie nissan for nissan. but hes not even doing that! if he gave you 9.5, he'd have to sell it for 12? i dont think it would ever happen. i know they are rare, but what is wrong with the one on the gold coast? its an extra bit of money in your pocket that could be going to something else. like i told you mate, he's probably in more of a rush to sell it and get into a new car than you are. back off a bit buddy! This is what you should do, LET HIM TRADE IT IN! watch the used car section at the holden he's selling it to, i can almost say for certain that it will be less than 9.5k, cos the dealership dont give a rats arse what series it is, how much bluer than the sky it is, what kind of dials it has or anything for that matter. they have to give him a price so that when they sell it, they can make a bit as well. they dont want it sitting in their yard for six months! youre asking the people in this forum for the super s's worth, and to everyone here, theyre worth heaps. dont forget buddy, that the bodgy used car market out there is governed by the little red book (which doesnt rate the micra that highly in resale value) and like the other members have said, its not a maclaren f1, so hes not going to get that sort of trade. Mate, hed be lucky to get 5-6k for that car trade in. NOW that said, GET SOME REST!

CMF_2

» CMF Member
i would love to pay good money on a perfect condition lx micra k11 S2 if there's one,but not for a superS 1 or 2.It just got too much extra weight i dont need...air-con,power steering,rear spoiler,ABS,rear disc,stock rims...etc.I'm so regret i bought my GTA,but i'm not regret for anything i bought for my micra,its just growing up time after time by itself~~

If there's only 10 top condition micra k11 left in the world now,i believe we will not consider how much it worth to us but only how much it worth to you only . :D

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I dont want to take the risk of it being traded in, and then going to auction and possibly going to another state.

I simply cannot take that risk. Its going to take me too long to find another one like this...

Oh well. *waves goodbye to $9000*

*does mixed emotions dance*

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi "SSS".... Congratulations on deciding to purchase !.

I am certain I have seen this particular car in the carpark at the "hyperdome" shopping centre. It's a beautiful example, one of the nicest original condition Micras I have ever seen. Those ROH wheels suit the car extremely well.

Series 2 Super S are exteremely rare. If you have your heart set one there may not be that many opportunities in the future.....

1. 120,000 Kms isn't a lot for a Micra (given they are all 8-10yrs old). Not many around with less than that & with a proper logbook service history. Still lots of life left in it.....

2. The "extras" with the car would cost a fair bit to replace or add to another micra (at least $2000).

ROH Wheels + tyres $1000
New Struts/Shocks + fitting $700
Kings Springs $300
If it's been well serviced this will save many $$$ long term.

3. It's one of the few cars you have looked at in the last
six months that actually meets your high standards.

4. Extremely rare and unique... You will have the only one
at the micra meets.. ;) Perhaps only around 10 in
Australia ?.

5. If you keep the car long enough paying a bit extra for
it isn't really going to be very noticable to you long-
term.

I know the price doesn't seem like a bargin but I can definately see the value in it. As "tony" said if you bought one in poor condition it would cost $$$ to bring it up to a spec you are happy with anyway.

Don't let your concern about the original purchase price spoil your enjoyment !.

Looking back I probably paid a premium price for my Micra but seven years later and after all the fun I've had with it I don't care....

Enjoy !!.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
[A lot of people die wondering and saying "if only".]

Spot ON!!! i find myself constantly pausing and making sure i have no regrets, regrets are the pits. Live life with no regrets...

Plus's

AirBag
Power Steer $570 + Fitting from Smithfield
New dampers $$$
Nice 15" wheels and tyres $1000+
Has new heater/blower resister card already
Has new under bonnent plastics
Has nice front rear bumpers, needs no respraying
Has nice catback exhaust

Things to do?

mp3/cd player $300?
pulsar brakes + new rotors $300ish
rear swaybar and camber bolts to make more enjoyable $300ish

like tony said, if you just settle on an avg S1 you'll wind up paying around 9K to have it neat anyway, same thing happened too me,

Alex

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I should mention that its already got slotted rotors on the front, and I must say the braking is very impressive, they do fade quickly but they cool down very quickly. They'll do until the pads wear down anyway.

Speaking of which, I have to check a few more things before I decide on a final price.

That being stuff I completely forgot - brake pads, tread on all 4 tyres, rego, movement in suspension bushings and clutch slippage (it has good release but that could be just clutch cable adjustment).

Off i go for another labourious drive today!

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Congratulations "SSS". It was a long odyssey but you have finally found the prefect Micra for you !. From what I saw that day in the carpark and your description almost sounds like a new car.

Yes please post some pictures. I look forward to having a closer look at it at the next micra meeting.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
w00t, congrats. gee i hope you don't have it already, cause i just got home from capalaba, :( should have called you, ahh well. yeah, post some pics > need to get my camera pointing at it for you, get some nice shots,

congrats again,

Alex

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I keep regretting spending so much.

But then I look at the pictures I took of it...

I dont think I could have done better. It has every single reciept for what was spent on the car with its first and then its 2nd owner. And i mean EVERY reciept.

I'll spread it all out and take pictures of the whole lot when i get it home.

I will be this car's 3rd owner and its going to be looked after like its last owners have... :)

cisco

» CMF Member
Wow! What a specimen! That's fantastic. Loving it.

Really really nice.

How about those inner arm rest/console things in the rear. I've never even heard of those before. Wow all this new stuff. I also never knew about the different "1.3 Super S" logo on the back. That's cool.

The front door cards look more sturdier / better quality etc.

The seats definately look like they don't hug you on the bottoms quite as much.

Yeah think you got a top car Tom. Worth the money - a real collectors item.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
The seats are great actually. You sink into the foam a little bit more than you expect too.

I dont know if it was my imagination but i'm 100% certain there's more lower back support than the series 1 and I have a feeling the seating is actually LOWER than the series 1.

I had heaps of legroom under the steering wheel anyway...

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
THAT IS A REALLY NICE CAR!! I WOULD BE SO PLEASED IF I HAD THAT IN MY DRIVE!!

SOMETHING SPECAIL AS THAT NEEDS A GOOD HOME AND IM MORE THAN SURE ITS GOT ONE!!!

wot "cisco" said bout the "arm rest/console things in the rear" look so cool. never seen that at all.

well done on great purchase.

Napster

CMF_2

» CMF Member
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIIFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL...BEAUTIFUL!!!

WOW.....YOUR $9500 IS VERY WELL SPEND!! LOOK MINT!!

The best ever factory micra k11 i ever saw.(the interior cloth colour is fully sick!!)

Love it alot!! :p

You're very lucky man,i was wonder why u dont post the owner's details up before you buy it,i know it now!! (I'll up for it if u let me know it before..haha...Well done!!)

When is the next meet,Cisco?? I wanna see this nice superS in the fresh.Sorry,cant help myself to type in all this stuff....thank Alex for the photos...:)

CMF_Napster

» CMF Member
"SSS" who was that 2?
u dont have to answer that lol?

i reckon u wont sell it for ages CAUSES ITS IN GREAT CONDITION AND VERY RESPECTABLE!! also uve only just got it and u need to fit ur CD PLAYER to it lol

enjoy ur new car mate?

u been out in it yet?

Napster

Back