ECU shuts down engine after 5 seconds

CMF_analogman

» CMF Member
Can anyone answer a couple of questions for me? I have a 1.3L automatic P reg. It suffered with missing a beat once or twice every few minutes. This would also happen when standing and idling, the engine would drop momentarily then recover immediately. After changing the plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm a web search indicated the Air Flow meter as prime cause. I replaced this to no avail. Also advised was to check corrosion on injector fuse. After a week of this the engine check light started flashing permanently and the engine starts, runs for exactly 5 seconds and cuts out. Repeatedly the same condition at every start up.

Checking the diagnostic connector mode 2 I get 14 long flashes followed by 1 short, then 14 long, 2 short and the cycle repeats. I finally put an oscilloscope on the injectors and can see the 12V at ignition dropping to zero with nice wide pulses. As the engine cuts (after 5 secs) the pulse width drops to a thin line. So the ECU is setting the injectors to close off fuel.

I have measured the fuel supply pressure at 2.5 bar, it is correct.

My questions are:

1) How does NATS inhibit engine, does it prevent the ECU from even starting the engine in the first place, or does it shut is off after a short time?

2) Does anyone recognise the above conditions and, if so, what was the cause.

3) Pretty much the last thing left is the ECU, but changing it presumably means reprogramming the keys NATS codes into it. Can this be done DIY?

Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

CMF_micratech

» CMF Member
Hello there,
i have had some problems with the NATS system in the black micra..
The engine would start and idle, then shut itself of after some seconds.. This meant i had to change the sender in the Nats kea..

I don`t know if this is the same problem you have in your case, but
thaught i`d just mention it.. :)

CMF_analogman

» CMF Member
I still have this problem and have mananged to get a cable and the "Consult" software for a proper diagnosis. It comes up with error codes E1 and E2, which, I guess, it the hexadecimal way of saying 14-1 and 14-2 with the flashes. So I am not much further. Are there any Nissan technicians out there that can point me in the right direction. The codes can be cleared with the software but return instantly the ignition key is turned (even before starting the engine).

PS Thanks micratech, I will only take it in as a last resort!

CMF_analogman

» CMF Member
As help to others I can now confirm that these codes (E1 & E2 or 1401 & 1402 with the flash counts) are the loss of key codes in the ECU. Man came out with reprogramming kit and re-coded them in less than 5 minutes. No pin codes needed. I can now get back to looking for the original fault!

CMF_OC Mechanics

» CMF Member
Sounds like i have the same problem but i have already replaced the ecu as i was getting a spark but no signal to the injectors.

This car should have already been programmed by Nissan at the cost of £180!

Back