Developed a ticking noise

joshbl

Site Supporter
My micra has always run nice and smoothly with no annoying noises. But since i fitted a new manifold I've gained a faint ticking noise which only occurs under load and increases frequency with revs. At first I thought it was a slight blow from the manifold so got a new gasket. But it persists. The only other thing I could think of that could make this noise is a belt. But they're all in good nick. As I had to angle grind some old nuts off, a lot of sparks went into the alternator. Could be that? I'm clueless really.

Any ideas Ladies and Gents?

could be the metal filings as you say have you fitted like hub caps or anything it may sound silly but i heard sumones hub caps ticking today because of the safety ties :p

does this noise only occur when your moving or when the engine is running?

It's only when moving and under load. It's like the tick an old rover would make only faint. I seem to be the only person who can hear it. Good idea about the hub caps but I've got alloys :p

could be the metal filings as you say have you fitted like hub caps or anything it may sound silly but i heard sumones hub caps ticking today because of the safety ties :p

does this noise only occur when your moving or when the engine is running?
ahh treasured memories lol, a handful of pebbles inside your mates hubcaps :laugh:

it might even just be the engine and you just have never noticed it lol
fingers crossed it's not your cam chain...

I wouldn't mind it being the cam chain, As long as I know what it is! It has just ticked over 81K miles though

I wouldn't mind it being the cam chain, As long as I know what it is! It has just ticked over 81K miles though
my super s had no noises at 135k... maybe the chain was looked at before hand?

and R reg has a point... stone in the tread?

The car was silent before. And it's not quite a stone in the tread kind of tick. More like a hiss/tick if that's possible

The car was silent before. And it's not quite a stone in the tread kind of tick. More like a hiss/tick if that's possible
Turbo? :blush:

Try and get a video of it, i know it's hard because your moving.... failing that have a friend attached to the bonnet with camera in hand. perhaps it might even sound different to a person outside the car whilst you drive past?

Apparently it can't be heard driving by. I'm hoping if I rag the @#%$ out of it, then it might eventually stop :p

actually you know what.. have u tried the gear box? as u say hiss tick my gear box sort of hisses with a small tick kinda sound when im drivin along :p

But the fact that it started when I fiddled with it makes me think it's something in the engine bay. Are alternators water proof? Cos I was thinking of pressure washing it to perhaps flush some debris which may be in there

well they are and there not :p lol it can be washed with high preasure but id try dry it as much as possible before turnin it on XD

Back