Changing colour - insurance?

Robert

Ex. Club Member
I know DVLA needs to be informed, but will it effect my insurance?
It would most likely be a standard colour, just different to what i have now..

dont see why it would, its not really a MOD unless its custom airbrush work that costed you £££££'s and you want to insure the paint as part of the insurance priemium. just spray it and if they ask... thats how you bought it!

Well insurance companies will try to weave there way out of paying if they can, claiming that you didn't give them the correct details gives them the right to only insure you thrid party.............i think.

Basicly the cost to phone them is hardly worth putting off.

Change it with the DVLA, and when you do your insurance, it may automatically detect the new colour. Otherwise, just say it looked a bit tatty and thought it could do with a new coat.

Insurance can only really be invalidated if the part in question could contribute towards a crash, such as different brakes/suspension etc. The colour shouldn't be that important to them. If in doubt, ring them up and ask before you have the work done.

I've done this. All you need to do is fiill in the Colour section on your V5 and post it off! They will return your V5 with this updated.

For some strange reason It didn't update the MOT system. They could have theoretically failed my car on this, so when you have an MOT take the log book with you with the notified colour change on it to be safe.

Regarding insurance, it is a modification so SHOULD be declared!!!

when i changed the colour on my bike after i got it i sent it off to put in my name and forgot about colour. all the copper did when he pulled me about my number plate was checked and said ' and by the way its registered yellow' i was like ummm i sent it off promise :p

isnt there some kinda thing how if its got a nice paint job its more likely to be nicked/scratched or something?

should totally have gotten a discount with percy's job but never mind

id tell the insurance if they can find away not to pay out they will take it so don't give them an excuse. also u dont want some copper thinking ur insurance is invalid because the insurance co bail on you after an accident

PHUURT! who needs insurance..........

:p nah just kidding, as olli said, just fill in the colour bit on V5 and post it off, surely its the DVLA who control your car (database for tax, test insurance yatta yatta yatta) so it should come though on MoT & police checks but its up to you what you do, me personally, would say i bought it like this and was none the wiser!

I must admit I've not actually got round to declaring my paint job, Naughty I know. Looking at quotes as my insurance is up in the new Year i'm looking at less than £600, 3 years NCB, TPFT, Alloys, Suspension, Bodykit, Side Skirts, and Colour Change. Although I've only got 1 quote so far! lol

Back