Car making a whistleing noise when moving any ideas??

Hi everyone,

Long time no chat, been very busy recently, then again I'd guess that most would not remember me ever being on here though.

So about a month or so back the car started to whistle and squeal, it sounded like it was coming from the back right wheel, assuming you are standing at the rear of the car (I forget the exact term, is it rear off side?).

So at first I figured it was the breaks, took the wheel off, and took a look, and sure enough it needed new shoes, then the brake cylinders seal broke, so I put it in the garage and they got fixed for both wheels along with the shoes for both wheels (of course) and brake pipes.

However, by now as you may of guessed the whistling and squealing is still there, and it dosnt do it when I brake, it just does it when I'm cruising along.

So I am completely stumped, does anyone know what is going on here? All thoughts and ideas I will appreciate greatly.

Thanks a lot for reading,

Ben.

Ok thanks i'll check that out. Time to get the old haynes out, have a read then pass the problem to my Father, nah just kidding.

Thanks a lot,

Any other thoughts , greatly welcome I will look at all possible issues.

Don't just check the wheel bearing by feeling for play.

Grip the axle tightly with one hand and spin the wheel. Compare it to the other wheel. Does one side vibrate or feel coarser than the other?

To be honest, from what you describe it sounds more like a sticking pad or slides in the front wheels. Especially as it goes away when you brake. Might be worth jacking the front up too.

Don't just check the wheel bearing by feeling for play.

Grip the axle tightly with one hand and spin the wheel. Compare it to the other wheel. Does one side vibrate or feel coarser than the other?

To be honest, from what you describe it sounds more like a sticking pad or slides in the front wheels. Especially as it goes away when you brake. Might be worth jacking the front up too.

Back