Micra making a rattling/grinding noise - any ideas?

Hi all!

I'm hoping you can all give me a bit of help here.

I think its a 1999 reg, it started making a quiet rattling noise starting about 2 or 3 weeks ago, then it got gradually louder and ended up as a nasty grinding kind of sound.

The grinding didn't start off quietly and get louder though, it would start instantly about 30-40mph and then stop as sudden as it started.

We arranged to take it garage after a few days of this and surprise surprise, the morning of its appointment all rattling and grinding stopped! And it didn't return when the mechanic took it for a drive either! He gave it an examination and he said he couldn't find any problems or anything unusual so we left it at that.

This was about a week ago now and since the rattling slowly started again, and tonight the dreaded grinding is back!

If it continues I suppose we'll have to take it the garage again and hope it carries on when he checks it!

It seems to be coming from the front left of the car (from the drivers POV) however when I took it out again last night I couldn't tell whether it was coming from the front or back left side.

Also a warning light came on around a year ago which I believe is related to the catalic converter (I'm sure I've spelt catalic wrong :p).

Anyone have any ideas, I am completely useless with cars and such.

Cheers!

Back