Cam Belt - help

Hi all,

I don't know much about mechanics so please bear with me.

I was told by a mate that I should check how long ago my cam belt was changed, as they only last 30K miles or 5 years. Is this true? If so how can I check the condition of my cam belt (would a garage be able to do that for me?)

hope you can help.

oh right thanks for that hughes :D, I was worried in case there was something I've missed as I've swapped to a different garage halfway through my ownership of the Micra.

if you think about it have a listen next time you drive it because if it constantly rattles when warm itll need changing.

it doesn't contantly rattle, but sometimes when I turn it on it makes a ratter for a very short amount of time then sounds fine all of a sudden. This is only occasionally though and not every morning.

stokefan said:
it doesn't contantly rattle, but sometimes when I turn it on it makes a ratter for a very short amount of time then sounds fine all of a sudden. This is only occasionally though and not every morning.

that sounds normal the time the tensioner is taking to stop the noise only when it takes a long time to get rid of the noise or such then u should watch it

stokefan said:

have this problem to :down: what do i have to do to stop this noise...
my 200sx had it to, but with the new tensioner its great now.

Do i have to change the chain tensioner on my micra to?

thanks

Pedro

sput said:
have this problem to :down: what do i have to do to stop this noise...
my 200sx had it to, but with the new tensioner its great now.

Do i have to change the chain tensioner on my micra to?

thanks

Pedro

definately worth a try mate, if it worked on the SX then it should work on the K11. although a noisy chain isnt really bad, they all do it but keep going lol

your chain is fine, it rattles because the oil pump hasnt built up enough pressure to stop the tensioner from rattling and when it stops rattle thats when the oil pressure has built up

Yeah timing chains are supposed to last for ages, until you have one snap on the M1 after only 50k!

Back