burning ignition!!

ok as some of you may know i was having trouble starting my march, it starts if i have the ignition on and i run a wire from battery positive to a 10mm nut on the starter.

While the car was running i tried turning the ignition to engage the starter, usually on a normal car it would make a horrible grinding noise, but instead my ignition puffs out a bit of smoke, i presume this isnt good, but could somebody tell me what is causing this?fwn

I'd go for a worn starter switch.

If you take the steering column cowling out, locate the switch on the back of the lock. Its held in by a small phillips screw. Take it out, you will find the centre part, usually grey or white plastic is worn.
When you turn the key the lock isnt turning it far enough round, like when you press a light switch really slowly, the light flickers and the switch buzzes.

If you want to try another we have them in stock. They retail at £750 each but as a forum member we will do you one for £20 inc. P&P.

the back barrel on a march is different to a micra i think because it has 2 screws, ill get one out of the scrap yard down the road its handier cause im in ireland

I'd try the Micra one anyway, should still fit.

Whats the deal with connecting the starter straight to the battery? Have you had starting problems before?

i fitted a kill switch to the igniton, one day i connected two wires for a cat sensor and when i went to start the car it wouldnt start, my distributor went the day before aswell

Back