breaker points... just messed up, or really ****** up?

hey :)

finally got to check the points in my not-that-reliable dizzy.. what do you say? fwn they look a bit.. worn :glare:
oksk0x.jpg

I'd say that they're ######ed.
Possible reasons:
Ignition has been left on for quite a while with the engine not running
Condenser knackered
Ballast resistor knackered (supplying 12v to the points when it's running)

I'd check the ballast resistor first, just to eliminate it, put a multimeter on the positive terminal on the coil, with the engine running it should show around 6v. If it shows higher than 8v the ballast is knackered.

New points anyway, but change the condenser as well.

Unless of course you're gonna do the electronic ignition swap.

I'd say that they're ######ed.
Possible reasons:
Ignition has been left on for quite a while with the engine not running
Condenser knackered
Ballast resistor knackered (supplying 12v to the points when it's running)

I'd check the ballast resistor first, just to eliminate it, put a multimeter on the positive terminal on the coil, with the engine running it should show around 6v. If it shows higher than 8v the ballast is knackered.

New points anyway, but change the condenser as well.

Unless of course you're gonna do the electronic ignition swap.

I'll check local suppliers today... hopefully i will get new points and condenser..
condenser is gone for sure, it is shorted inside, after connecting lab power supply it shows quite high current draw (with current limiter, voltage sits at 0.15v @ 500mA)
checking ballast resistor should be simple, i'll do that too..
hopefully that stops stuttering :D

btw.. improvisation in case i wont find any suitable points fast enough.. could i just flatten old ones with tiny angle grinder?

ad electronic ignition - module from my 2nd car has ECC.. so i do not have suitable dizzy as i thought before.. and i do not want to spend 80-100 Euros on new dizzy

finally got it sorted..

new original points and condenser from nissan dealer (expensive as hell.. whatever) made wonders. car now runs like new, no stuttering, no misfiring :)

if i remember correctly, ballast resistor had 9-10 volts on it, sso i am going to replace it soon.. dont want to damage coil

thx

Back