BigJohn's Super S

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
So a bit of an update...
Have the Suspension in now (finally!).
Will need to get pics soon...

Have bought a few other goodies too (steering wheel, short shifter, gear knob, boot etc). Just need to get them on.

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Some 'Go Fast' stickers

Attachments

• 89238.jpg
    89238.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 41

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Can't remove the steering wheel and don't have a dedicate steering wheel puller kit?
Improvise! Big John's ghetto steering wheel removal!

Use a steering wheel lock and an OEM style scissor jack.
1. Remove the steering wheel horn cover. Spray some WD40 onto the centre nut and then loosen the steering wheel's centre nut. Do not remove the nut.
2. Set the steering wheel lock in place (as central as possible across the steering wheel).
3. Position the top jacking point of the jack onto the steering wheel's centre shaft and the bottom against the steering lock.
4. Turn/open the jack. If the steering wheel isn't too tight, it 'should' pop. If not, open the jack until the steering lock seems like it's bending. At this point, hit the back of the steering wheel with a rubber mallet and this should make it pop.

Attachments

• 89239.jpg
    89239.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 50

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Then replace the wheel.
I got an Autotecnica Maloo M Spec wheel off eBay.
Meets ADR requirements and has a padded centre to avoid defects.

Attachments

• 89240.jpg
    89240.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 39

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
While I was at it, I fitted a short-shifter (the gear changes are now much shorter and nice and notchy. Gear shifts are still easy to gate and has had no negative effects at all.)
I also replaced the gear knob and boot with more items from eBay.

Attachments

• 89241.jpg
    89241.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 35

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Yep! Handles much better now. Rear end is nice and tight with the right amount of stiffness. The front however, could do with less body roll.
Might look at front sway bar sometime in the future.

CMF_TurtleMan

» CMF Member
plattsy WROTE:

"front sway bar will alter the rear end of the car sir.

if the front is understeering, you want a rear sway bar.

In my experience that's only with aero parts or more ground effects like on le mans cars. A bigger front sway bar will only affect the front. Don't mean to argue just my opion.

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
27mm Whiteline front swaybar on my Falcon has made a world of difference. Much better turn in, a heap less body roll and it's made the car feel like a smaller car. Had no noticeable affect on the rear.

Adjustable Whiteline bar on my WRX made their handle like a go kart. It just sat so flat and felt so tight around corners.

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Re-drilled the original WRX higher and used a 65mm bolt with some big nuts behind it as support - This is for the front right hand side of the passenger seat.

Attachments

• 89459.jpg
    89459.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 37

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Some people have stated that the had issues fitting the WRX seats into the Micra as the rails would hit the lower seat belt rail.
The way around this is easier than you think. You need to slide the WRX seat rails all the way back, as though a tiny person were driving with their face against the steering wheel. This way, the rails are all the way back.

Attachments

• 89461.jpg
    89461.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 36

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
First problem with WRX seats in the Micra:
1 - The driver's side door bin WILL hit the height adjusting / quick release lever, preventing you from closing the door.

Attachments

• 89462.jpg
    89462.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 38

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Second problem with WRX seats in the Micra:
2 - I now can't get to the tailgate release / fuel flap release lever. I found this out AFTER I bolted everything in tightly. The lever is jammed up against the underside of the RHS seat rail. I'll need to sort this out within the next few days.

Attachments

• 89464.jpg
    89464.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 35

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Since I've been off work, waiting for our latest baby to arrive, I've been doing some work. Managed to weld the the seats to the brackets and give them a lick of paint (pictures to come soon).

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
VG Auto Paints mixed up the Hyundai Veloster Young Gun Matte Metallic Grey for me in spray packs. The pressure and the spray from these cans were absolutely amazing! They sprayed with plenty of pressure with a nice wide spray pattern. I was really surprised! Not a thin spray pattern like the cans you get off the shelf.

Attachments

• 89577.jpg
    89577.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 33

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
Masking removed and so far, it looks like this. No washing, sanding or anything else as yet.
I'm not fussed about the red you see around the window frame as that will be covered by the window rubber.

Attachments

• 89579.jpg
    89579.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 36

CMF_BigJohn

» CMF Member
I loved my little Micra. It was such a cool, fun car to drive. Easy to park and easy on fuel.

I will always have fond memories of my Super S Micra.

I will miss you little one ;-(

Back