( Automatic choke/bad starting/Carburettor ) probs on 1988 GL Auto

R

robbie909uk

Hello everyone - ive juts got hold of an old 1998 Nissan Micra GL - automatic - and its a lovely little car all bar the problems with starting it - i was told it doesnt like starting in the wet - but think it just doesnt like starting at all - ive sprayed cleaner into the carb but think its either the automatic choke or somehtin- maybe the mixture that needs adjusting- it always feels as though its running/idling very fast, and this would make sense if the mixture was too rich etc?? Im not very mechincal so laymans term are alsways best - can anyone shed any light onn this with either a picture or specs of the carb and how i can maybe sort this out - many thanks in advance. [email protected]

Welcome to the MSC

Ive had numerous problems starting mine in the wet and ended up changing:

Plugs, leads, Distributer Cap, Ignition coil, Rotor Arm, fuel filter.

Problem seems to have gone now. Do you know when yours were last changed? Dont rule out the carb tho, they are known to go wrong, but will cost more to change than the above :). It will idle around 2000 rpm once started but after the auto choke has been turned off, it should drop between 600-900rpm. If yours doesnt switch off, then it sounds like the auto choke's a bit dodgey in the carb.

Back