2005 K12 1.2 heater matrix bypass

Hello all.

Signed up for some support regarding my son’s blessed Micra.
It’s a 2005 (55 plate) three door 1.2, his Gran had it from new, then it was passed to my older son and now my younger son.
It’s been a pretty reliable car considering now they have pretty much neglected it! I’ve replaced the boot lock switch, serviced it twice and found out the radio code after several battery failures.

The current issue is with the heater matrix, it has gone completely, started with steamed up windows and a smell of coolant, now it has failed altogether with coolant in the passenger footwell.
I’m going to have time change the matrix, however, the car is 50 miles away as he is at Uni. I can’t be doing that job on the road, want to be on my drive with all the tools to hand when I tackle that one.

What I want to do, hence the post here, is to do a temp bypass on the heater matrix pipe feeds in the engine bay. I’m happy to do this at his place, then he can drive to mine at Easter for me to do the full job. He can wear extra clothes while he drives until I change the matrix, he’s 22 so can manage the cold…!

To fit a bypass I need to know the diameter of the two (the long and the short) rubber coolant pipes that come from the engine to the bulkhead. Once I know this, I can buy a larger pipe that will fit over these two to form a loop, as in the bypass. Obviously using some good jubilee clips and a metal inner to give a good water seal.

Does anyone have this measurement please?

Thanks in advance.

not sure, so this is only semi useful, but from a quick look (my hands they are to big to reach) they appear to be 20mm id. so a bit of 22mm copper should see you right for a journey home.

22mm copper did the job.
Had to cut the pipes from the bulkhead as they were well and truly welded on. Pipe and jubilees fitted, should see him ok for a while.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 282D5D0F-3460-46BA-B9B8-BF8B21F8615E.jpeg
    282D5D0F-3460-46BA-B9B8-BF8B21F8615E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 71
  • EAE59DF5-EDE3-4000-AE58-1FD3645212F8.jpeg
    EAE59DF5-EDE3-4000-AE58-1FD3645212F8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
Back