Yet another old driver news story

Amazing!! And if was a normal age driver we would get banned prob, and more!!

Bring it on. I respect they still feel 'young at mind' but this is just appauling.

When "someone dies as a result." You mean like when some young person who has just passed their test wipes out themself and a few of their friends by speeding or careless driving? Curious that I never read a post from either one of you condeming young drives when that happens.

And, Ems,your "young at mind" crack was appalling in it itself. Shame.

S

If that was anyone younger then they would have already filed charges, even if the person was confused. She should clearly be banned from driving for life, apart from the fact that after driving on the left hand side of the road all her life she should have known what she'd done, didn't the oncoming cars give it away at all?

And to think they get cheaper insurance than me!
'A spokesman said she could face a charge of dangerous driving.' COULD??? Pfft.

Soixante, i don't think anyones done a thread on THIS subject before, if you feel so strongly then make a thread about it...

The problem with old people is they think they are right, silly old bird must've thought everyone else was going the wrong way.

Ems,your "young at mind" crack was appalling in it itself. Shame.

What? it's a realistic comment! People are always going to believe they're able to do something until something bad happens, because your mind doesn't give you a second opinion. If someone tells you, your probably going to be too stubborn to listen and think you can do it anyway. The woman obviously felt able to drive, but the fact here says she can't.

When "someone dies as a result." You mean like when some young person who has just passed their test wipes out themself and a few of their friends by speeding or careless driving? Curious that I never read a post from either one of you condeming young drives when that happens.

Changing topic here aren't you! That's two different scenarios.

I totally agree that driving & showing off is absolutly pointless, infact i was talking about this to Ems last night, but what can be done about this? Issue driving tests? well, this already takes place! that's why young people are behind the wheel. You shouldn't punish all young people because of the attitudes of some, and some of the ideas such as banning the young driving at night is totally rediculous, but nothing has been done to prevent the older generation from driving when they shouldn't be. If they're able to drive, then they wouldn't have a problem passing a test. Maybe we'll save the 'how to stop the young from driving like idiots' discussion for another thread.

Its guaranteed that if that was a young person, they'd be facing a judge in no time.

With the young people its mindset, 'ive got to show off' etc etc, but at least when they're not being prats they can drive properly, this is a case of someone who clearly isn't mentally able to drive properly, its not a quick case of missing a no entry sign, she went on for 4 miles leaving a trail of destruction.

Just to lighten things up a bit I just imagined her saying to her mates 'hold my beer... erm teeth... and watch THIS' :grinning:

the government couldnt just make OAPs retake their test if they cant prove they are incapable to drive in the first place. young or old, if they make a serious error like whats described above, they should be re-tested regardless of what sentence they may get.

Okay, Arnold

So young people shouldn't be punished because of the behavior of some, but it's okay to tar all old people (how old is old? 60+, 70+?) with the brush of senility and incompetence?

I concede that after a certain age a driver's ability should somehow be at least in question, but who's going to decide what age, and who's going to do the deciding? Perhaps you'd like the owners of high powered cars or motor-bikes to be able to pass judgement on who should drive and who shouldn't? Take away a persons right to drive and you take away their independence. A shattering experience to an older person and one that I'm sure a few of the younger ones on here can relate to.

And I stand by my "young at mind" criticism. I'm getting on a bit and am probably in the age group that you and Ems would like to see tested every year until the drool runs down my chin or I croak. But I don't get in my car thinking "I feel young in mind, no problem driving down to the shops today." I just get in the car crank it up and go. Just like all of us that have been driving for a while do, just like the lady in question did, and, just like you do and you'll be doing (if your allowed to even drive by then) when you reach your 60s or 70s.

And, Arnold, I might point out that in life there are no guarantees, except that there are no guarantees.

And, olly, that "silly old bird" comment is not worthy of you either. She's no doubt someones mother and probably a grandmother. She's paid her dues, cut her some slack.

S

This is always a hot potato of a debate, in fact South Park made a whole episode about it covering both what younger and older people thought of it.

Stories like this one always bring up emotions too as I must admit i'd agree with Arnold that if someone under 25 was caught doing the same thing there would be no question of them being charged.

The only way to stop the arguments I guess would be to force a retest every 10 years or something after passing your driving test, regardless of age. I highly doubt this is going to happen though as it would be a huge drain on resources!

Soixantaine - my father is a gentleman of 76 years young, and has driven all his life.

He runs his own business and still works today provide some of the best engineering in his field, he is perfectly sound of mind in most respects..

However a few years ago he stopped driving, a small lapse of his mind - which he purely puts down to his age, almost caused an accident, but didn't.

It did however make him decide to never drive again, as he felt it wasn't worth the risk to others, and he never has.

my uncle - now deceased - drove until he died of his ripe old age, when he drove he couldn't remember the journey, in fact his mind was so gone he could barely remember my name, but still drove.

The local "pools man" is the same, but still drives, I have seen many a near misses locally with him.

Testing of drivers in there retirement age to me is not a suggestion, it is a MUST for the safety of other road users, a persons independence to me is irrelevant when lives are at risk.

Same goes for women too, but every year.

i agree with both Arnold and Soixantaine here.

yes older people over 65 years old should be tested, i mean when i am 65 i wouldn't mind being tested again to make sure i am safe, if you are safe you have got nothing to worry about.

saying thats my grandad is 74 years old and drives a kia sedona 2.9 people carrier, now i no wat u r thinking OMG old person driving a BIG car but my grandad is the safest best driver i no. he has got an advanced driving award (means he has a badge on the front of his car) and he is as good if not better than most ppl i no.

however aimed at Soixantaine you gotta agree if some old ppl are driving up the wrong way on the motorway i think they need to be tested again.

well thats my piece:D

If I live to be 75 I hope they do remove my licence, old people (or in fact anyone that has been driving a while) are way too relaxed behind the wheel.

Alternatively their insurance should be as high as new drivers as they do things worse than the younger generation. When was the last time you heard of a kid parking on a level crossing?

Nope always some 90 year old who failed to notice she has been stroking a wig for 2 weeks cos her cat died, and should definitely not be allowed to drive.

Now I'm not saying all old people have lost it but there should be tests in place to see who has.

Soixante, i'm sure she is someones grandmother, but so what, cut her slack? She drove down the wrong side of motorway, in a list of whats dangerous driving i'm sure that would come out pretty much top.
Its not like a small mistake.

Agreed, if an old person cuts you up or runs a red light you think 'o well she's old' but this isn't like that, she could have killed someone.

We've had this argument on the MSC before, it was as pointless then as it is now, youngsters will say oldies are dangerous and oldies will say youngsters are dangerous, ad infinitum, yes old drivers cause accidents but so do young drivers, though I'm pretty sure the statistics will show in favour of the oldies being safer, there are good and bad in all age ranges. For all the people out there slating oldies, how old was your driving instructor and examiner ? the wrong side of 50 in a lot of cases I would bet, don't forget that you will all get to be old (hopefully) and will have to live by the rules set up by the authorities to protect people from 'bad' older drivers, so be careful what you wish for.

I'm pretty sure the statistics will show in favour of the oldies being safer

IIRC they dont actually. I shall try and find them agian.

i think that the difference here is between bad irrisponsable drivers, this is commonly associated with "young drivers" and incapable drivers, when some people get to a certian age they do actualy become incapable of driving a car could be for many reason, eyesight, hearing or just going senial, altho alot of elderly people will still drive despite. they are to completly different things some young chav doing 60 in a 30 limit crashing and killing himself and others is different because they know what they are doing and they know the risks and the consiquences.

According to statistics, young males between 18 and 25 are the most likely to have/cause a serious accident..

However.. This portion of drivers spend more time at the wheel than others..

FACT... looking at an Accident per Milage Ratio..

People of a retirement age.. 60+ are the most accident prone drivers..

It was, Ceirwan, the "silly old bird" comment that I was referring to when I said cut her some slack. And yes, certainly, she shouldn't be allowed to drive again until her abilities behind the wheel have been tested. No argument there. What puzzles me about this particular incident is, where were her support group, friends and family, in the time that lead up to her taking this little sally down the wrong side of the motor way. Someone must have seen it coming on (it doesn't usually happen overnight), and if so, why wasn't anything done to help the old girl out. She must have been confused and terrified when it happened and should be looked upon with compassion rather than be vilified just for being old.

As for myself, I wouldn't have a problem with being tested every couple of years or so. I'd probably have to bone up on the theory a bit but I doubt I'd have a problem with the practical, for now anyhow. But when the day comes that finds me in a layby in Aberyswyth without knowing how I got there then, like Pete's dad, I'll know it's time to hang it up. And I will, without a doubt.

S

he has got an advanced driving award (means he has a badge on the front of his car)

So does my grandad but in the last ten years his driving is terrible, hes 71 now.

I used to be always on the road with him when i was younger and enjoyed it, he has a license to drive pretty much any vehicle but pays no attention to whats happening on the roads doesnt look at roundabouts. he drove down the hard shoulder this year, because he thought thats how the motorway lanes went from the slip road. And he wants an harley davidson before Xmas.

The silly old bird comment was correct though, she is silly for driving the wrong way down the motorway.
She is old and she is in fact a bird.

And, Ems,your "young at mind" crack was appalling in it itself. Shame.

S

Did you actually understand what i wrote? I wasn't being rude, or whatever you think i meant. It's an understanding i have of other people thinking they are able to do the things they could 20 years ago. I can't believe you think i was having a 'crack'.

If she was my mother/grandmother, i would never let her drive in the first place. She's 85 for gods sake, and went the wrong way up the motorway for 4 miles, causing several cars to swerve. All because she took a wrong turning! Surely she must get confused pretty easily to make a mistake like this. Otherwise she would have stopped on the slip road realising her error. I seriously doubt that if she does have any family they would have let her drive like that. I would like to hope not anyway.

You say that it's a normal thing for us to just get up and get in our car without thinking about it! I doubt this lady did that. It probably took her a good ten minutes to get out the front door and into the car in the first place. I don't have a problem with older drivers. I have a problem with unsafe drivers. Simple as.

As for being tested every ten years, bring it on. I don't have a problem with proving i'm able to drive safely.

sounds quite serious, she should have her license revocted, same for ANYone who does the same,
reminds me of what happened just outside my home town (the M4 colliosion)
although that incident turned out to be fatal.

Maybe she should just hand in her Licence. At this stage i think it's the only option.
They shouldn't fine her either, there's no point, i hardly think it's fair to be dragging an old lady through the Courts at her age and plus it would be media heaven....

we've all made mistakes, i've driven home from town at night without any lights on.....but d'you know what? Nobody told me....no one on the way home could be bothered to flash their lights....*shrugs*

A retest 1 year after taking the intial test then a retest at 50 then one at 70 maybe?
Sort the wheat from the chaff as they say...

Maybe the local council will now do something to stop this happening again?

I just happen to live near Christchurch which has the highest number of retirees than anywhere else in England.....help! :grinning:

Hue and Cry

It's the hue and cry for the blanket re-testing of the elderly (everytime an incident like that one occurs) that gets my back up. We all have to pass a test to drive legally in this country, yet accidents still happen, caused by people of all ages. Will re-testing cut down on the accident rate? I doubt it because would-be drivers, of any age, are generally on their best behavior when they take the test. Even that old dear might have passed a test the day before.

It's all change, however, once they get behind the wheel on their own. With some, the rules go out the window. They forget everything they've learned or been taught. With others, the rules were made for others. They just don't give a toss.

We live in a Nanny State as it is. Asking the government for yet more rules and regulations to provide for every eventuality in life will eventually suffocate us all with red tape, yet will do little (in the case of driving) to make us any safer in the (potentially) deadly lottery we buy into whenever we put the key in the ignition.

I just hope the old gal wasn't driving a Micra.

S

The majority of the older drivers on the roads are not up to today's 'standards' of driving. Most of them have never taken a theroy test, and i'm sure there's some out there who have never even taken a driving test!

Is it too much to ask to get on the road and have a nice safe drive to work? I don't expect to see cars flying towards me on the motorway or stopping at green lights or going through reds. I've even seen an old woman stop her car on a main road as the sun was in her eyes!

I know young drivers can be crap too, but at least the majority are kept off the roads through testing. What's being done to protect the safety of drivers from old people?

It's normal practice to get peed off by someone elses inability to do something correct.....most drivers on the road don't give a damn, old or not, it's all the same across the board. when i first passed my test it was brilliant..the open road...not now though, most drivers are all me me me...people don't like being informed when they make a mistake so they get all funny about it and threaten physical violence. there's too much stress in this country, we don't know whether to sit down or stand up...the case for retesting will go on for as long as the "shall we put the clocks forward or not?" debacle.

Point taken, Arnold, but you're probably more at risk by all the other drivers on their way to work than from pensioners. Examples might be: the school run mum on her mobile, the white collar worker in his Jag or BMW late for a meeting, the delivery driver with a schedule to keep to, etc.,etc. Us old folks usually either get the shopping done at Asda very early or wait until things have quieted down a bit before we venture out.

Just as someone passing a test is not going to prevent them from plowing into you, failing one is not going to keep a determined driver from driving, no matter what their age. And, I'll bet a buffalo nickel that there are more 20 and 30 year olds driving without a license than OAPs. And quite a few of them will be in the same queue you're in on your way to work in the morning.

Anyway, we can agree to disagree. I think the re-testing of the elderly would create an expensive, bureaucratic nightmare that you will someday have cause to regret ever lobbying for; you think it's the answer to eliminating the problem of the elderly driver on the roads.

S

I think Arnold mean't that waaaaay ago you didn't take a driving test, you just applied for one, but that has remained valid.

I think Arnold mean't that waaaaay ago you didn't take a driving test, you just applied for one, but that has remained valid.

Correct

I also agree that it's not just pensioners who can't drive. I'm forever annoyed by the BMW up your backside etc, but you don't hear of these guys driving the wrong way down motorways, pressing the accellerator instead of the brake, or not remembering how they got from A to B!

Oi!! I'm a very good driver thanks! I agree some women are a bit dull, but not all of us :p

And i hate lorries, they scare me when they move over as your overtaking!!

And i think they should test EVERYONE every ten years, not just older people. That would be discrimination!

ooh what a heated discussion :D

young people have the physical ability to operate a car, but alot lack the responcablity. i think even i shouldn't be alowed to drive after some of the stupid stuff i have done.

but old people, the definition of old, is a physical change, and it doesn't how sharp their mind is, it is still a change that will impare driving. as stated the problem is guaging when this age should be. but it is still a fact that old people have slower reactions.

with the case of the old lady, it should be an instant and permenent ban. because she wont get any better at driving and it wasn't just a little mistake, when you get something that wrong you should know about it.

as for the women and men drivers, i think they are equal in competence, but i think men tend to drive either proactively or aggresively where as women tend not to feel so in control of the car, so they tend to treat the car as if they are not totally in control, thus going slowly etc. but like ems said, this isn't something that is fact, its just usually the case.

a retest is a bad idea for soo many reasons. the cost and time, having to take time off to take your test. not being able to get to work cos you failed. for people who drive for a living this could loose them their job. loosing your job and license in one day isn't going to do the world any good.

i think the best option is to threaten people. young people, if they screw up by driving bad in their first 4 years then a retest. if old people show any signs of slower reactions, either when they go to the doctor, or if they are spotted by the police doing something stupid then they should have a reactions test and then a retest.

there is an old lady near me who CANNOT park. she cant do it, she can barely walk. and yes taking the car from her, means she looses her indepnedence and cant take her dog to the dog walk. but there are kids in the car park that she could kill. i think it is more important for public safty that people who cant drive proplely are taken off the road until they can prove that they can drive. with old people, this would usually mean they wouldn't drive again.

and like other people said, i think that the stats are wrong simply because the people who come up as the most dangerous are the people who spend most of their time on the road. i am a young male, and i drive to work and back, and often drive for work and drive on weekends so it is vary rare that a day goes by when i am not in a car for atleast an hour. that means that obviously i am more likely to have a crash than my mum, who rarely drives and drives short distances. i think these statistics should take into account the amount of time spent on the road too.

Thousands of people in this country have already lost their licences and their jobs because of speed cameras so i hardly think it'll make a jot of difference whether peolple start losing licences because they're crap at Driving. There are too many vehicles on the road anyway and there's plenty of other alternatives....

As Humans, we're not designed to do this sort of stuff anyway....now, i'm to catch my dinner......if i can find my bloomin Spear.... :)

I was gunna say, when old people started driving there were less cars on the road. Now things are more complicated.

Ouch! Pete, careful with that sort of talk. You'll have the WI, and all the oldies, after you.

Thank you, Ems, it would indeed be discriminatory and apologies if I misread your initial post. (I don't think, however, your gran would be very happy about you preventing her from driving just as you wouldn't be happy if someone hid the keys to that tarmac missile of yours.)

Well put, Nex, and everyone else that took the time to post. A free exchange of opinions never hurt anyone.

Should really learn how to do the quote thing.

S

Ouch! Pete, careful with that sort of talk. You'll have the WI, and all the oldies, after you.

Thank you, Ems, it would indeed be discriminatory and apologies if I misread your initial post. (I don't think, however, your gran would be very happy about you preventing her from driving just as you wouldn't be happy if someone hid the keys to that tarmac missile of yours.)

Well put, Nex, and everyone else that took the time to post. A free exchange of opinions never hurt anyone.

Should really learn how to do the quote thing.

S

thanks :D i enjoy discussions, its when people start to argue and take cheap shots, then its just not worth the time. luckily most of the MSC members are mature enough to post something constructive :D

Think is one of those pain subjects where there is no possible PC answer. Sorry ill erm stand on the fence and laugh at this rather amusing thread.

Back