word of warning ... NEVER buy plasti dip

L.Williams

soundcloud.com/lwilliamsmusic
i tried the can on my bonnet today, not even a 400ml can would cover it fully, looks like a bad camo paint job between green / black, all textured nd horrible, gonna pop down halfrauds now and spray over the stuff with normal matte black paint, cover it up

Plasti dip is like a plastic spray. You tube it and it will tell you how to do it properly
And I've never had any issues plasti dipping anything. It needs to be sprayed on in lots of thin coats
And the 400ml can would never do a whole bonnet.

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
i tried the can on my bonnet today, not even a 400ml can would cover it fully, looks like a bad camo paint job between green / black, all textured nd horrible, gonna pop down halfrauds now and spray over the stuff with normal matte black paint, cover it up

Plasti dip will just peel off, you don't need to cover it up... And it seems easy enough to do but I would've thought you'd need at least 2 cans.

This guy isn't exactly the best sprayer and even he did 4 coats of it and it looks pretty good.

Plasti dip will just peel off, you don't need to cover it up... And it seems easy enough to do but I would've thought you'd need at least 2 cans.

This guy isn't exactly the best sprayer and even he did 4 coats of it and it looks pretty good.

Even on the Honda hood in the video there isn't enough coverage, you can tell by how thin and difficult it is when he tries to peel the overspray on the wing tops, so no way is one can enough.

Stani1029

Club Member
Im a fan of that :) could imagine someone somewhere changing there white car black then commiting a huge crime then simply peeling off and never being traced lol

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
homer_doh.png

The data sheets from Plasti Dip state a 400ml can will cover 6sq.ft at 5mils coating thickness. Recommended minimum coating thickness is 10-12mils, so a 400ml can is only good for 3 sq.ft at minimum coating thickness and thus not anywhere close to covering a K11 bonnet.

OP
OP
L.Williams

L.Williams

soundcloud.com/lwilliamsmusic
cheers guys, and yeah i know 400ml aint enough now lol , kinda guessed when i ran out, first time tho so i didint know ?
and this can was crap then mate, coz it came out like a jet spray not like fine mist if that makes sence? like normal spray ? i ended up priming and using matte black from halfords, looks much better now

cheers guys, and yeah i know 400ml aint enough now lol , kinda guessed when i ran out, first time tho so i didint know ?
and this can was crap then mate, coz it came out like a jet spray not like fine mist if that makes sence? like normal spray ? i ended up priming and using matte black from halfords, looks much better now

If your having trouble with the jet of spray especially if the tin is cold/cool i always leave them in a tub of hot water for a few minutes giving them a good shake now and again as well, normally gives a nice steady flow of paint after that :)

pollyp

Club Member
Yeah the cold would've reduced the can's propellant pressure alot so it can't flow out the nozzle fast enough to be atomised. Like an old can of wd40 thats out of gas with loads oil left.

The cold paint/dip on freezing body panel doesn't help the curing process nor the quality.

Suggest prewarming any spray cans in warm water to provide max pressure.

Always test spray the can is working before commiting to spraying the panel.

Preferably spray at room temperatures (bring panel indoors n warmup few hrs beforehand or wait till warmer climate.
Don't spray on a hot surface thats in direct sunlight, keep it in shade.

After each use, spray the can briefly upsidedown using the propellant to purge the paint out the pipes and wipe clean the nozzle before storage so that next time it won't be clogged up.