Wipers with a mind of their own

Has this happened to you ?

• Yes, but it doesn't do it often so it's still 'broken'

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
C

CAT 20T

Can't be the only one with this 'problem' surely :wasntme:

Occasionally, my wipers take on a mind of their own and keep wiping even after I've turned the switch to the off position.

I was refilling the scoosher juice the other day with the keys in the ignition, spilt a bit of fluid down the driver's side of the engine bay, and the wipers came on all by themselves so I think it must be an electrical problem with the pump.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Can't be the only one with this 'problem' surely :wasntme:

Occasionally, my wipers take on a mind of their own and keep wiping even after I've turned the switch to the off position.

I was refilling the scoosher juice the other day with the keys in the ignition, spilt a bit of fluid down the driver's side of the engine bay, and the wipers came on all by themselves so I think it must be an electrical problem with the pump.

Im not clued up with k12's at all, however you may have got the wiper relay or other associated electrical item wet which has caused this to happen. I've heard of other situations on other cars when an item such as relay has got wet, causing unusual behaviour. The relay either needs drying out or replacing to fix.

Do you have a service manual or anything which tells you whats down that side of the engine bay?

the ECU which controls these things can be reset at a dealership.
alternatively, try turning the car off, then on, with the wiper set to automatic.
this problem was always intermitted for me.
incidently, the rain sensor is behind the rear view mirror.

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
if that is the rain sensor behind the rear view mirror, i wonder what that thing is placed next to the VIN number on our dash.

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
Mine would continue once or twice after flicking them off, but they dident go on for an anoying amount of time. it was hardly noticable.

OP
OP
C

CAT 20T

Mmmm ... interesting - it's got a new stalk from when I fitted the foglights, but even so, it only seems to happen when it's wet ... it's never done it if I'm just cleaning the windscreen