Wiper stalk retrofit - extra functions

Do you have a wiper stalk that looks like this ?
20150817_190547.jpg

Would you like a wiper stalk that does this ?
20150817_191415.jpg

...or even one that does this ?
20150819_190047.jpg

Well, if you have a facelift model, then you can, relatively easily - here's how :

FYI - I did this on my 1998 [Sept] 1.0 GX phase 1 facelift.

1. Check the existing wiring to the wiper stalk - it needs to have 2 connectors that look like this :
Large 10 way connector of which only 9 pins are populated:
20150811_145916.jpg

and small 4 way connector [only 3 pins on the stalk] of which only 2 pins are populated:
20150811_145858.jpg

2. Identify the existing wiper stalk - it should have the connector view like this:
20150811_145941.jpg Note the silver circular 'feature' in the centre of the picture.

...and a part number like this:
20150811_150001.jpg

3. Now you need to choose if you want to have variable intermittent on the front and intermittent only on the rear, or variable intermittent on the front and intermittent and constant on the rear - here are the two units that worked on my car :

Almera (after ~1998) - intermittent only on the rear
20150819_190059.jpg 20150819_230354.jpg

Terrano/Maverick (again, after ~ 1998) - intermittent and constant on the rear
20150818_104108.jpg 20150818_104037.jpg

These wiper stalks are pin for pin compatible with the Micra's wiring and fully function - it really is as simple as plug and play wipe !

Do not be tempted to try and make older wiper stalks fit - the smaller connector is different and the wires are NOT compatible with later wiring - it blows fuses [I know, I tried].
This one from an earlier Maverick/Terrano looks the same from the stalk view but you can see the connector view is rather different:
20150819_230450.jpg Note no central silver circular 'feature'.

Ensure you get pictures of both the part number and the connector view of any wiper stalk you might want to get before you purchase it ! Most decent internet savvy scrappies will do this for you.

Information.
Earlier Nissan models have what's known as "wiper amplifier" boxes which sit between the stalk and the motor and have electronic components to do the timing of the intermittent delay - the wiper stalks are just switches and variable resistors.
The later models [~1998 on] have the electronics build into the stalk so that the need for the "wiper amplifier" is negated - the wiper stalk can drive the motors directly (or in the case of the rear wiper, via a relay).
FYI - The circular silver feature is a capacitor [used for intermittent timing] and is clearly mounted on a circuit board - you can see the two connectors coming from the front variable intermittent potentiometer and the rear wiper switch mounted on the circuit board edge.

FYI - It may be that Primera and other Nissan models wiper stalks of similar years will fit and function as the Almera and Terrano/Maverick ones above have, but I cannot guarantee this as I have not tried it nor have I the wiring diagrams to check.

Happy variable intermittent wiping !

Attachments

• 20150818_104037.jpg
    20150818_104037.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,000
Last edited:
Hi Infinity,
Thanks for the response - non facelifts definitely cannot do this without serious messing, however it is likely that a phase 2 facelift could do it - try looking at the current wiper switch, the contacts, the labels and the stamped part number of the wiper stalk switch assembly.
If you have difficulties, let me know and I'll try and find a suitable upgrade switch assembly.
Cheers
Graeme

Will do. Ill check it out next week as im away atm. Missing my micra xdxd but the 2.0 seat leon tsi is a bit different to drive haha

I can't imagine it would be any different between 1st and 2nd facelift. I'll be on the lookout for parts to do this! Very much miss adjustable intermittent wipers.

Sorry to be off topic, but because it's about wipers:
The wipers of my k11 stall sometimes.
Sometimes they work fine, sometimes they just stall at random places.
Is it caused by the motor? Can somebody help me diagnose this?

Can you be more specific about the problem you're having :
front or rear wipers
what setting are using when the 'stalling' happens - int, 1 or 2
how do you get the wipers to start working again ?

Can you be more specific about the problem you're having :
front or rear wipers
what setting are using when the 'stalling' happens - int, 1 or 2
how do you get the wipers to start working again ?

It's only during "int". So at a random point it stops and then, some random time later it continuous and stops on a other random spot.

It is most likely to be the wiper motor/gearbox unit - it has it's own +12v feed which goes to an electrical contact [also named 'wiper'] on the mechanism which returns the wiper arms to the 'park' position when the wipers have been turned 'off' - i.e. during INT, the wiper ON signal goes to the wiper motor/gearbox for ~1 second and then the wipers return to the park position on their own powered via the electrical contact.
You could try disassembling the wiper motor/gearbox to try and fix the electrical contacts, the alternative is to get another one.

I've just looked at this again and I think it might not necessarily be the wiper motor/gearbox assembly, it could be the front wiper relay and/or the switch. Do the wipers stop not in the parked position if you have them on either 1 or 2 position, then turn them off as they start the next wipe ?

I've just looked at this again and I think it might not necessarily be the wiper motor/gearbox assembly, it could be the front wiper relay and/or the switch. Do the wipers stop not in the parked position if you have them on either 1 or 2 position, then turn them off as they start the next wipe ?

I'm not sure, I'm going to test it explicit for the things you asked.
I'll respond asap ;-)

I got myself a Terrano stalk a couple of years ago, totally worth it.
I was wondering if I could get some help ASAP regarding the stalk wiring?
I'm retrofitting the stalks from 97-01 into a 2003 K11. The stalks and wiring is different.
I've got most functions working now, but I have no intermittent or rear wiper yet. There are two wires left to put in. I just don't want to blow it up.
1538391456163.jpeg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Edit: I just found my post here like a year later. I figured it out, it's in my blog.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Almera stalk with variable intermittent speed will work on a face-lift k11? they are identical in all aspects but the Almera has variable intermittent wiper speed control on the end, as in bottom photo.

My k11 stalk:
20230107_135313_1.jpg

Almera N16 stalk:
Screenshot_20230107_161333_Gallery.jpg

All plastic parts are identical, I guess it just depends on the wiring harnesses of each car?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Almera stalk with variable intermittent speed will work on a face-lift k11? they are identical in all aspects but the Almera has variable speed intermittent wiper speed.

My k11 stalk:
View attachment 79607

Almera N16 stalk:
View attachment 79606

All plastic parts are identical, I guess it just depends on the wiring harnesses of each car?
Update: I have bought an Almera mk2 N16 wiper stem which should arrive next week, I will post the results when I put it on.

The Almera MK 2, N16 wiper stem arrived today. Here are some photos of k11 face-lift and Almera stem side by side, the Almera has white stripe intermittent speed on the end, but otherwise identical.
20230111_134658_1.jpg

20230111_134811.jpg

Only a 10 minute job to swap them over. I've now got variable intermittent wipers front and back. I only use rear wiper one sweep occasionally so it's OK whatever on the back.

Now I've got an Almera indicator stem too which has rear or rear + front fog lights on it, so I'll investigate rigging front fog lights at some point, the k11 only has 1 rear fog light and none on the front. But that's a job for the future. Just happy I can alter intermittent wipe speed now.

K11 indicator and lights stem
20230111_134515.jpg

Almera indicator and lights Stem
Screenshot_20230111_205036_eBay.jpg

Last edited:
Im not sure about the fog light switch. On the older stalks (the longer thinner ones) the head lights dont work like they should when upgrading the stalk to a almera/primera one. so might cause some issues.

Im not sure about the fog light switch. On the older stalks (the longer thinner ones) the head lights dont work like they should when upgrading the stalk to a almera/primera one. so might cause some issues.
Hi again Maarten.
I checked the light indicator stalk against mine. The small 4 pin connector is an 8 pin, not sure what its for?
20230610_151332.jpg
Screenshot_20230610_160652_Photos.jpg

Back